DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 6,171,613
|Title:||Method for producing liposomes with increased percent of compound encapsulated|
|Abstract:||The efficiency of encapsulating a drug into a liposomal formulation is increased by use of a lipid having a carbon chain containing from about 13 to about 28 carbons during preparation of the liposomes. Preferably the liposomes are multivesicular liposomes.|
|Inventor(s):||Ye; Qiang (San Diego, CA), Sankaram; Mantripragada Bhima (San Diego, CA)|
|Assignee:||SkyePharma Inc. (San Diego, CA)|
1. A method for encapsulating at least one biologically active compound in a liposome comprising
a) obtaining a liposome, by any conventional means, having the substance encapsulated therein and having at least one first amphipathic lipid having a carbon chain from about 1 to about 12 carbons in the lipid component of the formulation;
b) determining the percent amount of the encapsulated compound; and
c) substituting said at least one first amphipathic lipid having a carbon chain from about 1 to about 12 carbons in the lipid component of the formulation with at least one second amphipathic lipid with a substantially similar chemical structure having from one to 16 more carbons in a fatty acyl chain of the second lipid;
wherein the resulting percent of the compound encapsulated is from about 0.2 to about 85 percent.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the liposome is multilamellar.
3. The method of claims 1 wherein the liposome is multivesicular.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the number of carbons in the amphipathic lipid is in the range from about 14 to 22.
5. The method of claim 2 wherein the amphipathic lipid is selected from the group consisting of
6. The method of claim 2 wherein the amphipathic lipid is saturated.
7. The method of claim 2 wherein the amphipathic lipid is unsaturated.
8. The method of claim 1 wherein subsequent batches of liposome formulations are made by repeating step c).
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.