Generated: April 24, 2017
|Title:||Combination of atovaquone with proguanil for the treatment of protozoal infections|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to combinations of atovaquone and proguanil, their use in the treatment and prophylaxis of parasitic infections such as protozoal parasitic infections, e.g., malaria and toxoplasmosis, and infections caused by P. carinii and their use in the manufacture of medicaments for the treatment and/or prophylaxis of such infections. The combinations can conveniently be administered in a single pharmaceutical formulation. Preferably, atovaquone and proguanil are administered in a potentiating ratio so that they act in synergy.|
|Inventor(s):||Gutteridge; Winston Edward (Beckenham, GB), Hutchinson; David Brian Ashton (Beckenham, GB), Latter; Victoria Susan (Beckenham, GB), Pudney; Mary (Beckenham, GB)|
|Assignee:||Glaxo Wellcome Inc. (Research Triangle Park, NC)|
1. A combinations of 2-[4-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl]-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone and 1-(4-chlorophenyl)-5-isopropylbiguianide hydrochloride wherein the
2-[-4-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl)-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone and the 1-(4-chlorophenyl)-5-isopropylbiguanide hydrochloride are present in a ratio in the range of 1:1 to 3:1.
2. A combination of 2-8 4-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl]-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone and 1-(4-chlorophenyl-5-isopropylbiguanide hydrochloride wherein the ratio of 2-[4-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl]-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone to 1-(4-chlorophenyl-5-isopropylbiguanide hydrochloride if 5:2.
3. A combination according to claim 1 or claim 2 wherein the 2-[4(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl]-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone is in the form of the trans isomer or a mixture of the cis and trans isomers in which the trans isomer predominates.
4. A pharmaceutical formulation comprising a combination according to claim 1 or claim 2 in association with one or pharmaceutically acceptable carriers thereof.
5. A unit dose formulation comprising 50 mg to 3 mg each of 2-[4-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl]-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone and 1-(4-chlorophenyl)-5-isopropylbiguanide hydrochloride in a ratio in the range of 1:1 to 3:1.
6. A unit dose formulation according to claim 5 comprising 500 mg of 2-[4-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl]-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone and 200 mg of 1-(4-chlorophenyl)-5-isopropylbiguianide hydrochloride.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.