Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Crystalline form of omeprazole|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to a novel crystalline form of 5-methoxy-2-[[(4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-pyridinyl)methyl]sulfinyl]-1H-benz imidazole, known under the generic name omeprazole. Further, the present invention also relates to the use of the novel crystalline form of 5-methoxy-2-[[(4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-pyridinyl)methyl]sulfinyl]-1H-benz imidazole for the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders, pharmaceutical compositions containing it as well as processes for the preparation of the novel crystalline form of 5-methoxy-2-[[(4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-pyridinyl)methyl]sulfinyl]-1H-benz imidazole.|
|Inventor(s):||Lovqvist; Karin (Molndal, SE), Sunden; Gunnel (Goteborg, SE), Noreland; David (Sodertalje, SE), Ymen; Ingvar (Saltsjo-Boo, SE)|
|Assignee:||Astra Aktiebolag (Sodertalje, SE)|
1. Omeprazole form A which is a non-salt racemate, wherein omeprazole form A provides an X-ray powder diffraction pattern exhibiting substantially the following d-values:
2. Omeprazole form A, according to claim 1, wherein omeprazole form A is defined by a triclinic unit cell with parameters a=10.410(4).ANG., b=10.468(3).ANG., c=9.729(4).ANG., .alpha.=111.51(3).degree., .beta.=116.78(3).degree., .gamma.=90.77(3).degree..
3. A pharmaceutical formulation comprising omeprazole form A according to claim 1 in admixture with a pharmaceutically acceptable excipient.
4. A method of treatment of gastrointestinal disorders which comprises administration of a therapeutically effective amount of omeprazole form A according to claim 1 to a patient suffering from gastrointestinal disorders.
5. A process for the preparation of omeprazole form A according to claim 1 comprising the steps of:
a) dissolving or suspending omeprazole of any form, or a mixture of omeprazole of any form, in a suitable solvent at 15-25.degree. C.;
b) allowing the solution to crystallize for at least 2 hours, and
c) isolating the omeprazole form A thus obtained.
6. The process according to claim 5, wherein the solvent used in step a) is selected from the group consisting of methanol, ethanol, acetone, ethyl acetate, methyl tert. butyl ether, toluene and any mixture thereof.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.