|Title:|| Crystalline form of omeprazole|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to a novel crystalline form of 5-methoxy-2-[[(4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-pyridinyl)methyl]sulfinyl]-1H-benz imidazole, known under the generic name omeprazole. Further, the present invention also relates to the use of the novel crystalline form of 5-methoxy-2-[[(4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-pyridinyl)methyl]sulfinyl]-1H-benz imidazole for the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders, pharmaceutical compositions containing it as well as processes for the preparation of the novel crystalline form of 5-methoxy-2-[[(4-methoxy-3,5-dimethyl-2-pyridinyl)methyl]sulfinyl]-1H-benz imidazole.|
|Inventor(s):|| Lovqvist; Karin (Molndal, SE), Sunden; Gunnel (Goteborg, SE), Noreland; David (Sodertalje, SE), Ymen; Ingvar (Saltsjo-Boo, SE) |
|Assignee:|| Astra Aktiebolag (Sodertalje, SE) |
1. Omeprazole form A which is a non-salt racemate, wherein omeprazole form A provides an X-ray powder diffraction pattern exhibiting substantially the following d-values:
2. Omeprazole form A, according to claim 1, wherein omeprazole form A is defined by a triclinic unit cell with parameters a=10.410(4).ANG., b=10.468(3).ANG., c=9.729(4).ANG., .alpha.=111.51(3).degree., .beta.=116.78(3).degree.,
3. A pharmaceutical formulation comprising omeprazole form A according to claim 1 in admixture with a pharmaceutically acceptable excipient.
4. A method of treatment of gastrointestinal disorders which comprises administration of a therapeutically effective amount of omeprazole form A according to claim 1 to a patient suffering from gastrointestinal disorders.
5. A process for the preparation of omeprazole form A according to claim 1 comprising the steps of:
a) dissolving or suspending omeprazole of any form, or a mixture of omeprazole of any form, in a suitable solvent at 15-25.degree. C.;
b) allowing the solution to crystallize for at least 2 hours, and
c) isolating the omeprazole form A thus obtained.
6. The process according to claim 5, wherein the solvent used in step a) is selected from the group consisting of methanol, ethanol, acetone, ethyl acetate, methyl tert. butyl ether, toluene and any mixture thereof.