Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Anticipate generic drug launch
Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Methods for decreasing beta amyloid protein|
|Abstract:||Blood cholesterol levels are correlated with production of amyloid .beta. protein (A.beta.), and are predictors of populations at risk of developing AD. Methods for lowering blood cholesterol levels can be used to decrease production of A.beta., thereby decreasing the risk of developing AD. The same methods and compositions can also be used for treating individuals diagnosed with AD. Methods include administration of compounds which increase uptake of cholesterol by the liver, such as the administration of HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, administration of compounds which block endogenous cholesterol production, such as administration of HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, administration of compositions which prevent uptake of dietary cholesterol, and administration of combinations of any of these which are effective to lower blood cholesterol levels. Methods have also been developed to predict populations at risk, based on the role of cholesterol in production of A.beta.. For example, individuals with Apo E4 and high cholesterol, defined as a blood cholesterol level of greater than 200 mg/dl, post menopausal women with high cholesterol levels--especially those who are not taking estrogen, or individuals which high blood cholesterol levels who are not obese are all at risk of developing AD if blood cholesterol levels are not decreased.|
|Inventor(s):||Yankner; Bruce A. (West Newton, MA), Nadeau; Philip (Boston, MA)|
|Assignee:||Children's Medical Center Corporation (Boston, MA)|
1. A method for decreasing the production of A.beta. comprising administering a composition which decreases blood cholesterol levels to a person with elevated cholesterol levels who is
at risk of, or exhibits the symptoms of, Alzheimer's disease.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the composition is an HMG CoA reductase inhibitor.
3. The method of claim 2 wherein the composition is selected from the group consisting of lovastatin, simvastatin, fluvastatin, pravastatin, atorvastatin, cerivastatin, and compactin.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the composition inhibits uptake of dietary cholesterol.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the composition blocks or decreases endogenous cholesterol production.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein composition increases cholesterol metabolism or clearance.
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the person carries the apolipoprotein E4 gene.
8. The method of claim 1 wherein the person has trisomy 21 (Down's syndrome).
9. The method of claim 1 wherein the person carries one or more mutations in the genes that encode amyloid .beta. protein, amyloid precursor protein, presenilin-1 or presenilin-2.
10. The method of claim 1 wherein the person has a family history of Alzheimer's disease or dementing illness.
11. The method of claim 1 wherein the person is a post menopausal woman with high cholesterol.
12. The method of claim 1 wherein the person has high blood cholesterol levels who is not obese.
13. The method of claim 1 wherein the person is between 48-65 years of age.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.