Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Manage your formulary budget
Anticipate generic drug launch
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Nicotinic acid compositions for treating hyperlipidemia and related methods therefor|
|Abstract:||An orally administered antihyperlipidemia composition according to the present invention includes from about 250 to about 3000 parts by weight of nicotinic acid, and from about 5 to about 50 parts by weight of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose. Also, a method of treating hyperlipidemia in a hyperlipidemic having a substantially periodic physiological loss of consciousness, includes the steps of forming a composition having an effective antihyperlipidemic amount of nicotinic acid and a time release sustaining amount of a swelling agent. The method also includes the step of orally administering the composition to the hyperlipidemic once per day "nocturnally", that is in the evening or at night.|
|Inventor(s):||Bova; David J. (Hollywood, FL)|
1. A method of treating hyperlipidemia in a hyperlipidemic comprising dosing the hyperlipidemic with an effective antihyperlipidemic amount of nicotinic acid once per day in
the evening or at night, wherein said nicotinic acid is combined with at least one pharmaceutically acceptable carrier to form an oral solid dosage form.
2. A method, as set forth in claim 1, wherein the hyperlipidemic is dosed with from about 250 milligrams to about 3000 milligrams of nicotinic acid.
3. A method as set forth in claim 1 which causes little or no serious liver damage.
4. A method as set forth in claim 1 wherein the release rate of said nicotinic acid is from about 2.0% per hour to about 25% per hour.
5. A method as set forth in claim 1 wherein said nicotinic acid is prepared by formulating the active compound with from about 5 to about 50 parts by weight of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose per 100 parts by weight of tablet.
6. A method, as set forth in claim 1, wherein said nicotinic acid is dosed in the form of a sustained release tablet containing from about 1 to about 4 parts by weight of binder per 100 parts by weight of tablet.
7. A method, as set forth in claim 6, wherein said binder is polyvinyl pyrrolidone.
8. A method, as set forth in claim 1, wherein said nicotinic acid is dosed in the form of a sustained release tablet comprising from about 0.5 to about 2.5 parts by weight of a lubricating agent per 100 parts by weight of tablet.
9. A method, as set forth in claim 8, wherein said lubricating agent is selected from the group consisting of stearic acid and magnesium stearate.
10. A method of treating hyperlipidemia in a hyperlipidemic comprising the administration of an effective antihyperlipidemic amount of a nicotinic acid composition once per day in the evening or at night, wherein said nicotinic acid composition is an oral solid dosage form that consists essentially of nicotinic acid, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, a water-soluble binder and a lubricant.
11. A method of claim 10, wherein the water-soluble binder is povidone.
12. A method of claim 10, wherein the lubricant is stearic acid.
13. A method of claim 10, wherein the water-soluble binder is povidone and the lubricant is stearic acid.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.