Generated: April 27, 2017
|Title:||Aqueous suspensions of 9-hydroxyrisperidone fatty acid esters|
|Abstract:||The present invention is concerned with a pharmaceutical composition suitable as a depot formulation for administration via intramuscular or subcutaneous injection, comprising: (1) as an active ingredient a therapeutically effective amount of a 9-hydroxyrisperidone fatty acid ester or a salt, or a stereoisomer or a stereoisomeric mixture thereof and (2) a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier; wherein the pharmaceutically acceptable carrier is water and the active ingredient is suspended therein; and with a process of preparing such a composition. The invention further concerns such a pharmaceutical composition for use as a medicament in the treatment of schizophrenia, non-schizophrenic psychoses, behavioural disturbances associated with neurodegenerative disorders, e.g. in dementia, behavioural disturbances in mental retardation and autism, bipolar mania, depression, anxiety.|
|Inventor(s):||Fran.cedilla.ois; Marc Karel Jozef (Kalmthout, BE), Embrechts; Roger Carolus Augusta (Oud-Turnhout, BE), Borghijs; Herman Karel (Willebroek, BE), Monbaliu; Johan (Turnhout, BE)|
|Assignee:||Janssen Pharmaceutica, N.V. (Beerse, BE)|
1. A pharmaceutical composition in the form of a depot formulation for administration by intramuscular or subcutaneous injection, comprising:
(1) as an active ingredient a therapeutically effective amount of a 9-hydroxyrisperidone fatty acid ester having the formula ##STR2## or a salt, or a stereoisomer or a stereoisomeric mixture thereof, wherein R represents a straight C.sub.9-19 alkyl radical; and
(2) a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier;
characterized in that the pharmaceutically acceptable carrier is water and the active ingredient is suspended therein.
2. A composition according to claim 1 wherein R represents a straight C.sub.15 (pentadecyl) chain and the active ingredient is 9-hydroxyrisperidone palmitate ester.
3. A composition according to claim 1 wherein the composition further comprises a suspending agent and a wetting agent, and optionally one or more of a preservative, a buffer and an isotonizing agent.
4. A composition according to claim 3 wherein the suspending agent is sodium carboxymethyl cellulose and the wetting agent is polysorbate 20.
5. A composition according to claim 4 wherein the preservative is benzyl alcohol and the isotonizing agent is mannitol or a phosphate buffer.
6. A composition according to claim 1 having a viscosity of less than 75 mPa.s.
7. A composition according to claim 1 comprising by weight based on the total volume of the composition:
(a) from 3 to 20% (w/v) of the active ingredient;
(b) from 0.05 to 0.2% (w/v) of a wetting agent;
(c) from 0.5 to 2% (w/v) of a suspending agent;
(d) up to 2% (w/v) preservatives;
(e) optionally one or more isotonizing agents sufficient to render the composition isotonic with serum; and
(f) water q.s. ad 100%.
8. A process of preparing a pharmaceutical composition as claimed in claim 1 comprising intimately mixing the active ingredient with the carrier.
9. A process according to claim 8 comprising the steps of:
(a) stirring the wetting agent with the water;
(b) adding the preservative to the mixture while stirring;
(c) dispersing the suspending agent in the mixture while stirring;
(d) optionally dissolving the isotonizing agent in the mixture while stirring;
(e) dispersing the active ingredient in the mixture while stirring, followed by homogenizing the mixture.
10. A method of treating a warm-blooded animal suffering from a disorder selected from schizophrenia, non-schizophrenic psychoses, behavioral disturbances associated with neurodegenerative disorders, e.g., dementia, behavioral disturbances in mental retardation and autism, bipolar mania, depression, or anxiety, comprising administering to the warm-blooded animal a therapeutically effective amount of the composition of claim 1.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.