Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Formulations for controlling human lice|
|Abstract:||Safer pediculicidal formulations comprising a spinosyn, or a physiologically acceptable derivative or salt thereof, and a physiologically acceptable carrier, and methods of controlling lice infestations in a human with these formulations are provided.|
|Inventor(s):||Snyder; Daniel Earl (Indianapolis, IN)|
|Assignee:||Eli Lilly and Company (Indianapolis, IN)|
1. A pediculicidal shampoo comprising:
(a) from about 0.1% to about 30% of a spinosyn, or a physiologically acceptable tetracyclic N-demethyl derivative or salt thereof;
(b) from about 5% to about 30% of a synthetic surfactant;
(c) from about 1% to about 7% of an amide; and
2. A shampoo of claim 1 wherein the synthetic surfactant is anionic, amphoteric, cationic, zwitterionic, or non-ionic, or a mixture thereof.
3. A shampoo of claim 2 wherein the amide is coconut monoethanolamide or coconut diethanolamide or a mixture thereof.
4. A shampoo of claim 2 additionally comprising from about 1% to about 10% of a non-volatile silicone material.
5. A shampoo of claim 4 wherein the non-volatile silicone is a polyalkyl siloxane, polyalkylaryl siloxane or polyether siloxane co-polymer, or a mixture thereof, whose viscosity is from about 100 centipoise to about 150,000,000 centipoise at 25.degree..
6. A shampoo of claim 5 additionally comprising from about 0.5% to about 5% of a suspending agent selected from the group consisting of crystalline amphiphilic materials having needle-like or platelet structures, polymeric materials, clays and fumed metal oxides, or a mixture thereof.
7. A shampoo of claim 6 wherein the suspending agent is a crystalline amphiphilic material selected from the group consisting of long chain C.sub.16 -C.sub.22 acyl derivatives and long chain C.sub.16 -C.sub.22 alkanolamides of fatty acids, or a mixture thereof.
8. A shampoo of claim 7 wherein the suspending agent is an ethylene glycol diester.
9. A shampoo of claim 2 wherein the amount of a spinosyn, or tetracyclic N-demethyl derivative or salt thereof, is at a level from about 0.25% to about 1.5%.
10. A method for controlling a lice infestation in a human comprising topically administering to the human an effective amount of a formulation of spinosyn, or a physiologically acceptable tetracyclic N-demethyl derivative or salt thereof.
11. The method of claim 10 wherein the lice infestation is Pediculus humanus capitis.
12. The method of claim 10 wherein the lice infestation is Pediculus humanus humanus.
13. The method of claim 10 wherein the lice infestation is Pthirus pubis.
14. A method for treating human hair to kill and facilitate removal of lice and their eggs comprising the steps of:
(a) applying from about 10 g to about 30 g of a formulation comprising a spinosyn, or a physiologically acceptable tetracyclic N-demethyl derivative or salt thereof, and a physiologically acceptable carrier to wet hair;
(b) working the formulation through the hair and scalp;
(c) leaving the formulation on the hair and scalp for about 6-10 minutes;
(d) removing the formulation from the hair by rinsing, with water.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.