DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,998,449
|Title:||Combination of atovaquone with proguanil for the treatment of protozoal infections|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to combinations of atovaquone and proguanil, their use in the treatment and propinylaxis of parasitic infections, such as protozoal parasitic infections, e.g. malaria and toxoplasmosis, and infections caused by P.carinii and their use in the manunfacture of medicaments for the treatment and/or prophylaxis of such infections. The combinations can conveniently be administered in a single pharmaceutical formulation. Preferably, atovaquone and proguanil are administered in a potentiating ratio so that they act in synergy.|
|Inventor(s):||Gutteridge; Winston Edward (Beckenham, GB), Hutchinson; David Brian Ashton (Beckenham, GB), Latter; Victoria Susan (Beckenham, GB), Pudney; Mary (Beckenham, GB)|
|Assignee:||Glaxo Wellcome Inc. (Research Triangle Park, NC)|
1. A method for the treatment of malaria in mammals which comprises administering 2-[4-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl]-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone and
1-(4-chlorophenyl)-5-isopropylbiguanide hydrochloride in the ratio of 1:1 to 3:1.
2. A method for the treatment of malaria in mammals which comprises administering 2-[4-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl]-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone and 1-(4- chlorophenyl)-5-isopropylbiguanide hydrocloride in a ratio of 5:2.
3. A method according to claim 1 or claim 2 wherein the 2-[4-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl]-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone is in the form of the trans isomer or a mixture of cis and trans isomers in which the trans isomer predominates.
4. A method according to claim 1 or claim 2 wherein 2-[4-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl]-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone is administered either concomitantly or sequentially with 1-(4-chlorophenyl)-5-isopropylbiguanide hydrochloride.
5. A method according to claim 1 or claim 2 wherein the 2-[4-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl]-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone and 1-4(chlorophenyl)-5-isopropylbiguanide hydrochloride is administered concomitantly and in a single composition.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.