DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,968,976
|Title:||Pharmaceutical composition containing selected lanthanum carbonate hydrates|
|Abstract:||Selected lanthanum carbonate hydrates may be administered into the gastrointestinal tract, to treat hyperphosphataemia in patients with renal failure.|
|Inventor(s):||Murrer; Barry A (Berkshire, GB), Powell; Nigel A (Berkshire, GB)|
|Assignee:||AnorMed Inc. (Langley, CA)|
|Patent Litigation and PTAB cases:||See patent lawsuits and PTAB cases for patent 5,968,976|
1. A pharmaceutical composition for the treatment of hyperphosphataemia comprising lanthanum carbonate of the formula
where x has a value from 3 to 6, in admixture with a pharmaceutically acceptable diluent or carrier in a form for administration to the gastrointestinal tract.
2. A composition according to claim 1, wherein x has a value from 3.5 to 5.
3. A composition according to claim 2, wherein x has a value from 3.8 to 4.5.
4. A composition according to any one of claims 1 to 3 in unit dosage form to provide from 0.1 to 20 g/day.
5. A process for the preparation of lanthanum carbonate as defined in any one of claims 1 to 3 which comprises the steps of:
(i) reacting lanthanum oxide with hydrochloric acid to obtain lanthanum chloride;
(ii) reacting a solution of the thus obtained lanthanum chloride with an alkali metal carbonate to produce a wet cake of lanthanum carbonate octahydrate; and
(iii) drying the wet cake of lanthanum carbonate octahydrate so as to obtain a lanthanum carbonate with 3 to 6 molecules of water of crystallisation.
6. A process as claimed in claim 5 wherein the alkali metal carbonate is sodium carbonate.
7. A method to treat hyperphosphataemia in a subject which method comprises administering to said subject an amount of lanthanum carbonate of the formula
wherein x has a value from 3 to 6 effective to treat said hyperphosphataemia.
8. The method of claim 7 wherein x has a value from 3.5 to 5.
9. The method of claim 8 wherein x has a value from 3.8 to 4.5.
10. The method of any of claims 7-9 wherein said administering is by an oral route.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.