DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,962,016
|Title:||Multivesicular liposomes utilizing neutral lipids to modify in vivo release|
|Abstract:||The rate of release of encapsulated active compound from a multivesicular liposomal (MVL) formulation is modified by selection of a neutral lipid component. A family of MVL formulations containing different slow:fast release neutral lipid molar ratios display different release rates depending upon the molar ratio of the fast release neutral lipid to the slow release neutral lipid in each member. Incubation in plasma or a plasma-like medium at in vivo temperatures so as to obtain a release rate curve for each allows selection from among the members of the family of a liposomal formulation with a desired rate of release in vivo.|
|Inventor(s):||Willis; Randall C. (Solana Beach, CA)|
|Assignee:||DepoTech Corporation (San Diego, CA)|
1. A multivesicular liposome for release of a biologically active compound comprising:
a neutral lipid component having a molar ratio of a slow release neutral lipid to a fast release neutral lipid in the range from about 1:1 to 1:100, wherein the slow release neutral lipid is selected from the group consisting of triolein, tripalmitolein, trimyristolien, trilaurin, tricaprin, and mixtures thereof, and the fast release neutral lipid is selected from the group consisting of tricaprylin, tricaproin, and mixtures thereof;
an amphipathic lipid; and
a biologically active compound encapsulated in water in the liposome.
2. The liposome of claim 1, wherein the melting point of the neutral lipid component is about or below 37.degree. C.
3. The liposome of claim 1, wherein the molar ratio of the neutral lipid component to all the lipids in the liposome is in the range from about 0.01 to about 0.21.
4. The liposome of claim 1, wherein the molar ratio of the slow release neutral lipid to the fast release neutral lipid is in the range from about 1:1 to 1:27.
5. The liposome of claim 1, wherein the molar ratio of the slow release neutral lipid to the fast release neutral lipid is in the range from about 1:1 to 1:18.
6. A method for administering a biologically active compound at a desired release rate comprising administering the liposome of claim 1 to a subject in need of the biologically active compound encapsulated therein.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.