DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,957,886
|Title:||Spring-Powered dispensing device|
|Abstract:||A needleless injector is described for dispensing a liquid material, comprising a dispensing member which moves under the force of a spring providing an energy store. A damping arrangement, employing a viscous damping medium such as grease, is used to damp recoil during dispensing.|
|Inventor(s):||Weston; Terence Edward (Suffolk, GB)|
|Assignee:||Weston Medical Limited (Suffolk, GB)|
1. A needleless injector comprising:
a first, user-holdable member,
a second member which is movable with respect to the first member, the second member having a liquid outlet for a liquid to be injected into a subject, and a dispensing member movable to expel the liquid through the outlet under the force of a spring which provides an energy store, , and
damping means, comprising a viscous damping medium, operable to damp movement of said first member with respect to said second member.
2. A needleless injector according to claim 1, further comprising:
a cartridge, which contains the liquid, and
a free piston disposed in the cartridge in contact with the liquid,
a latch, and wherein:
the dispensing member comprises an impact member urged by the spring and temporarily restrained by a latch,
the impact member being movable in a first direction under the force of the spring to first strike the free piston and then to continue to move the piston in the first direction to expel a dose of liquid through the liquid outlet.
3. A needleless injector according to claim 2, wherein the latch is arranged to be released by movement of the first member with respect to the second member in the first direction.
4. A needleless injector according to claim 1, wherein said damping means further comprises:
a groove formed in one of said first and second members and having a viscous damping medium therein, and
an element which is formed on the other of the first and second members and which is arranged, in use, to travel through said viscous damping medium to effect damping.
5. A needleless injector according to claim 1, wherein the viscous damping medium is a grease.
6. A needleless injector according to claim 1, wherein the viscous damping medium is an oil.
7. A needleless injector according to claim 1, wherein the viscous damping medium is air.
8. A needleless injector according to claim 1, wherein said spring is a mechanical spring.
9. A needleless injector according to claim 1, wherein said spring is a compressed gas spring.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.