Generated: April 27, 2017
|Title:||Polyol esters, their preparation and use in depot forms of pharmacologically active agents|
|Abstract:||This invention provides a polyester of a polyol, said polyol containing at least 3 hydroxyl groups and having a molecular weight of up to 20,000 at least 1 hydroxyl group in said polyol being in the form of an ester, with a poly- or co-poly-lactic acid residue, each having a molecular weight of at least 5,000. These are useful for parenteral depot formulations.|
|Inventor(s):||Brich; Zdenek (Binningen, CH), Kissel; Thomas (Ehrenkirchen, DE)|
|Assignee:||Novartis AG (Basel, CH)|
1. A polyol ester having a molecular weight of 20,000 to 200,000, said polyol ester consisting essentially of:
1) 0.06% to 10% by weight of a polyol residue selected from the group consisting of
i) a cyclic structure having 1 to 8 glucose units containing 4 to 30 hydroxyl groups and
ii) a linear structure of mannitol containing 3 to 6 hydroxyl groups; and
2) a polylactic or co-poly-lactic residue having a molecular weight of 5,000 to 85,000, said polyol ester having at least 3 of said hydroxyl groups in esterified form and having a star-shaped polymer structure, wherein said polyol residue forms a central part surrounded by said polylactic or co-poly-lactic acid residue, and said co-poly-lactic residue comprises glycolic acid.
2. A polyol ester of claim 1 having a molecular weight of about 20,000 to about 80,000.
3. A polyol ester of claim 1 wherein said co-poly-lactic acid residue comprises about 30 to 70 mole % glycolic acid.
4. A depot formulation comprising a matrix of a polyol ester of claim 1 and a therapeutically effective amount of a pharmacologically active agent.
5. A depot formulation of claim 4 wherein said active agent is selected from the group consisting of bromocriptine, ketotifen and co-dergocrine.
6. A depot formulation of claim 4 wherein said formulation is in implant form.
7. A depot formulation of claim 4 wherein said formulation is in microcapsule form.
8. A polyol ester of claim 1 comprising from 0.2% to 1% by weight of said polyol residue.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.