DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,919,775
|Title:||Method for inhibiting expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase with tetracycline|
|Abstract:||The invention is a method of inhibiting the production of nitric oxide (NO) in an in vivo, in vitro, or ex vivo biological system. The method employs a tetracycline compound to inhibit the production of NO and/or to inhibit the expression or activity of an inducible isoform of nitric oxide synthase (iNOS). Preferably, the tetracycline compound has inhibitory activity for metalloproteinases. Also it is preferred that the tetracycline compound is provided to the biological system in an amount which has little or no antibacterial activity in the system. Accordingly, preferred tetracycline compounds are tetracycline compounds which have be modified to reduce or eliminate their antimicrobial activity. The method can be used to treat medical conditions in mammals characterized by NO production mediated by iNOS, including, for example, inflammatory conditions.|
|Inventor(s):||Amin; Ashok R. (Union, NJ), Abramson; Steven B. (Rye, NY), Golub; Lorne M. (Smithtown, NY), Ramamurthy; Nungavaram S. (Smithtown, NY), McNamara; Thomas F. (Port Jefferson, NY), Greenwald; Robert A. (Melville, NY), Trachtman; Howard (New Rochelle, NY)|
|Assignee:||The Research Foundation of The State University of New York (Stony Brook, NY) Hospital For Joint Diseases (New York, NY)|
1. A method of inhibiting expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in a mammal system, comprising administering to said mammal system an amount of a tetracycline compound
sufficient to inhibit inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in said mammal system.
2. The method according to claim 1, wherein the tetracycline compound has substantially no anti-microbial activity in said mammal system.
3. The method according to claim 1, wherein the tetracycline compound has metalloproteinase inhibitory activity.
4. The method according to claim 1, wherein the tetracycline compound is 6-demethyl-6-deoxy-4-dedimethylaminotetracycline (CMT-3), 6-.alpha.-deoxy-5-hydroxy-4-dedimethylaminotetracycline (CMT-8), 4-dedimethylaminotetracycline (CMT-1), doxycycline, or minocycline.
5. The method according to claim 1, wherein said mammal system is a mammal having a condition characterized by increased nitric oxide production.
6. The method according to claim 5, wherein said mammal has nitric oxide-dependent glomerular inflammation.
7. The method according to claim 5, wherein said mammal has osteoarthritis.
8. The method according to claim 1, wherein said method further comprises providing to said mammal system an anti-inflammatory amount of a steroidal or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug.
9. The method according to claim 1, wherein said mammal system is a mammal having a condition characterized by an abnormally high level of activity of inducible nitric oxide synthase.
10. The method according to claim 1, wherein said mammal system is an in vitro cellular system or an ex vivo tissue or organ system wherein a measured amount of nitric oxide production is indicative of expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.