DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
Join the DrugPatentWatch Referral Program Get access to a free drug patent landscape report or a free one-month subscription
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,914,331
|Title:||Antiviral activity and resolution of 2-hydroxymethyl-5-(5-fluorocytosin-1-yl)-1,3-oxathiolane|
|Abstract:||A method and composition for the treatment of HIV and HBV infections in humans is disclosed that includes administering an effective amount of 2-hydroxymethyl-5-(5-fluorocytosin-1-yl)-1,3-oxathiolane, a pharmaceutically acceptable derivative thereof, including a 5' or N.sup.4 alkylated or acylated derivative, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, in a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier. A process for the resolution of a racemic mixture of nucleoside enantiomers is also disclosed that includes the step of exposing the racemic mixture to an enzyme that preferentially catalyzes a reaction in one of the enantiomers.|
|Inventor(s):||Liotta; Dennis C. (Stone Mountain, GA), Schinazi; Raymond F. (Decatur, GA), Choi; Woo-Baeg (North Brunswick, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Emory University (Atlanta, GA)|
|Patent Litigation and PTAB cases:||See patent lawsuits and PTAB cases for patent 5,914,331|
1. A derivative of .beta.-2-hydroxymethyl-5-(5-fluorocytosin-1-yl)-1,3-oxathiolane of the formula:
wherein R.sub.1 is selected from the group consisting of hydrogen, acetyl, propionyl, butyryl, and pentanoyl and R.sub.2 is hydrogen.
2. The mono, di, or trihosphate ester of .beta.-2-Hydroxymethyl-5-(5-fluorocytosin-1-yl)-1,3-oxathiolane.
3. The compound of claim 1, wherein R.sub.1 is butpryl and R.sub.2 is hydrogen.
4. A physiologically acceptable salt of .beta.-2-hydroxymethyl-5-(5-fluorocytosin-1-yl)-1,3-oxathiolane.
5. A pharmaceutical composition comprising an effective amount to treat HIV in humans of a physiologically acceptable salt of .beta.-2-hydroxymethyl-5-(5-fluorocytosin-1-yl)-1,3-oxathiolane.
6. A pharmaceutical composition comprising an effective amount to treat HIV in humans of the mono-, di- or triphosphate ester of .beta.-2-hydroxymethyl-5-(5-fluorocytosin-1-yl)-1,3-oxathiolane.
7. A pharmaceutical composition comprising an effective amount to treat HIV in humans of the acetyl, propionyl, butyryl, or pentanoyl ester of .beta.-2-hydroxymethyl-5-(5-fluorocytosin-1-yl)-1,3-oxathiolane.
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.