DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,869,082
|Title:||Buccal, non-polar spray for nitroglycerin|
|Abstract:||A buccal aerosol spray using a non-polar solvent has now been developed which provides nitroglycerin for rapid absorption through the oral mucosa, resulting in fast onset of effect. The buccal aerosol spray of the invention comprises: propellant 50-95%, non-polar solvent 5-50%, nitroglycerin 0.001-15%, flavoring agent 0.05-5%.|
|Inventor(s):||Dugger, III; Harry A. (Flemington, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Flemington Pharmaceutical Corp. (Flemington, NJ)|
1. A buccal aerosol spray composition for transmucosal administration of a pharmacologically nitroglycerin soluble in a pharmacologically acceptable non-polar solvent
comprising in weight % of total composition: pharmaceutically acceptable propellant selected from the group consisting of C.sub.3-8 hydrocarbon of a linear or branched configuration 50-95%, non- polar solvent 5-50%, and nitroglycerin 0.1-6.5%.
2. The composition of claim 1 additionally comprising, by weight of total composition: flavoring agent 0.05-5%.
3. The composition of claim 1 comprising: propellant 55-85%, non-polar solvent 15-45%, nitroglycerin 0.2-3.0%, flavoring agent 0.1-2.5%.
4. The composition of claim 1 comprising: propellant 60-80%, non-polar solvent 19-32%, nitroglycerin 0.3-1.5%, flavoring agent 1-2%.
5. The composition of claim 1 wherein the propellant is a C.sub.3-8 hydrocarbon of a linear or branched configuration.
6. The composition of claim 1 wherein the propellant is propane, N-butane, iso-butane, N-pentane, iso-pentane, or neo-pentane, and mixtures thereof.
7. The composition of claim 1 wherein the propellant is N-butane or iso-butane and has a water content of no more than 0.2% and oxidizing agents, reducing agents, and Lewis acids or bases content in a concentration of less than 0.1%.
8. The composition of claim 1 wherein the solvent is a selected from the group consisting of C.sub.7-18 hydrocarbons of a linear or branched configuration, and the C.sub.2-6 alkanoyl esters and triglycerides of C.sub.7-18 carboxylic acids of a linear or branched configuration.
9. The composition of claim 8 wherein the solvent consists of miglyol.
10. The composition of claim 2 wherein the flavoring agents are selected from the group consisting of synthetic or natural oil of peppermint, oil of spearmint, citrus oil, fruit flavors, sweeteners and combinations thereof.
11. The composition of claim 1 of the formulation: n-butane 67%, miglyol 30.75%, nitroglycerin 1.25%, flavoring agent 1.0%.
12. The composition of claim 1 of the formulation: isobutane 67%, miglyol 30.75%, nitroglycerin 1.25%, flavoring agent 1.0%.
13. The composition of claim 1 of the formulation: isobutane 33.75%, n-butane 33.75%, miglyol 31.19%, nitroglycerin 0.31%, flavoring agent 1.0%.
14. A method of administering a pharmacologically nitroglycerin to a mammal in needed of same, by spraying the oral mucosa of said mammal with a composition of claim 1.
15. The method of claim 14 wherein the amount of spray administered is predetermined.
16. A sealed aerosol spray container containing a composition of claim 1 and a metered valve suitable for releasing from said container a predetermined amount of said composition.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.