DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,856,355
|Abstract:||Non-greasy topical solutions, emulsion gels or lotions comprising as the active agent a compound of formula I ##STR1## and a lower alkanol, and if desired together with a solubilizing agent or an oil phase such as isopropyl myristate are useful delivery systems.|
|Inventor(s):||Richter; Friedrich (Schonbuhl, CH), Steiger; Michel (Bern, CH)|
|Assignee:||Novartis Ag (Basel, CH)|
1. A topical pharmaceutical composition comprising as the active agent a terbinafine compound of formula I ##STR3## in free base form or in acid addition salt form, water, C.sub.1-4
alkanol, and a water-soluble or water-miscible nonionic surfactant, wherein no anionic surfactant is present wherein said composition is an emulsion gel or lotion, further comprising an oil phase and a thickener.
2. A composition of claim 1 wherein the thickener is a carbomer.
3. A composition of claim 2 wherein the carbomer is a polyacylic acid derivative.
4. A composition of claim 2 wherein the carbomer is Carbopol 1342.
5. A composition of claim 1 wherein the oil phase is isopropyl myristate.
6. A composition of claim 1 wherein the compound of formula I and the oil phase are present in a proportion of from 1:5 to 1:40 on a w/w basis.
7. A composition of claim 1 wherein the compound of formula I is present in an amount of 0.1% to 5% on a w/w basis.
8. A composition of claim 1 further comprising water.
9. A composition of claim 8 comprising 50 to 85% water, by weight.
10. A composition of claim 8 wherein the amount of alkanol, water, and oil phase is from 83 to 96% by weight of the composition.
11. A composition of claim 1 comprising 5 to 35% alkanol, by weight.
12. A composition of claim 11 wherein the alkanol is ethanol.
13. A composition of claim 1 wherein the compound of formula I is in free base form.
14. A composition of claim 1 substantially free of fatty material.
15. A composition of claim 1 further comprising a non-anionic surfactant.
16. A composition of claim 1 for the treatment of fungal infections wherein the compound of formula I is in free base form or in acid addition salt form, further comprising a solubilizing agent and excipients, as appropriate.
17. A composition of claim 16 wherein the solubilizing agent is a polyoxyethylene fatty alcohol ether.
18. A composition of claim 16 wherein the ratio between the compound of formula I and the solubilizing agent is from about 1:0.5 to about 1:15.
19. A process for the preparation of a composition of claim 1 comprising working up a compound of formula I together with C.sub.1-4 alkanol and adding further excipients as appropriate.
20. A method for the treatment of fungal infections comprising administering a pharmaceutically effective amount of a composition of claim 1 to a patient in need of such treatment.
21. A topical emulsion gel or lotion pharmaceutical composition comprising a compound of formula I ##STR4## an oil phase, a C.sub.1-4 alkanol, and a thickener.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.