Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
|Title:||Anhydrous alendronate monosodium salt formulations|
|Abstract:||Disclosed is a method for treating and preventing bone loss in patients by administering a formulation of anhydrous alendronate sodium. Also described is a pharmaceutical dosage form of said anhydrous alendronate sodium, being anhydrous 4-amino-1-hydroxy-butylidene-1,1-bisphosphonic acid, monosodium salt, in a pharmaceutically acceptable excipient.|
|Inventor(s):||Brenner; Gerald S. (Norristown, PA), Ostovic; Drazen (Lansdale, PA), Oberholtzer, Jr.; Earl R. (Hatfield, PA), Thies; J. Eric (Scotch Plains, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Merck & Co., Inc. (Rahway, NJ)|
1. A pharmaceutical composition comprising a pharmaceutically effective amount of anhydrous 4-amino-1-hydroxybutylidene-1,1-bisphosphonic acid monosodium salt in a
pharmaceutically acceptable carrier.
2. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1 wherein said anhydrous 4-amino-1-hydroxybutylidene-1,1-bisphosphonic acid monosodium salt is present in the amount of 0.005 to 1.0 gram per gram of composition.
3. A method for treating and/or preventing bone loss in a subject, comprising administering to said subject in need thereof, the pharmaceutical composition as defined in claim 1.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein said subject is human.
5. The method of claim 3, wherein the bone loss is osteoporosis-related, due to disuse, age-related, related to steroid therapy, rheumatoid-related, related to Paget's disease, or related to cancer.
6. The method of claim 3, wherein the treatment is prophylactic.
7. The anhydrous form of 4-amino-1-hydroxybutylidene- 1,1-bisphosphonic acid monosodium salt.