Generated: April 30, 2017
|Title:||Anhydrous alendronate monosodium salt formulations|
|Abstract:||Disclosed is a method for treating and preventing bone loss in patients by administering a formulation of anhydrous alendronate sodium. Also described is a pharmaceutical dosage form of said anhydrous alendronate sodium, being anhydrous 4-amino-1-hydroxy-butylidene-1,1-bisphosphonic acid, monosodium salt, in a pharmaceutically acceptable excipient.|
|Inventor(s):||Brenner; Gerald S. (Norristown, PA), Ostovic; Drazen (Lansdale, PA), Oberholtzer, Jr.; Earl R. (Hatfield, PA), Thies; J. Eric (Scotch Plains, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Merck & Co., Inc. (Rahway, NJ)|
1. A pharmaceutical composition comprising a pharmaceutically effective amount of anhydrous 4-amino-1-hydroxybutylidene-1,1-bisphosphonic acid monosodium salt in a
pharmaceutically acceptable carrier.
2. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1 wherein said anhydrous 4-amino-1-hydroxybutylidene-1,1-bisphosphonic acid monosodium salt is present in the amount of 0.005 to 1.0 gram per gram of composition.
3. A method for treating and/or preventing bone loss in a subject, comprising administering to said subject in need thereof, the pharmaceutical composition as defined in claim 1.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein said subject is human.
5. The method of claim 3, wherein the bone loss is osteoporosis-related, due to disuse, age-related, related to steroid therapy, rheumatoid-related, related to Paget's disease, or related to cancer.
6. The method of claim 3, wherein the treatment is prophylactic.
7. The anhydrous form of 4-amino-1-hydroxybutylidene- 1,1-bisphosphonic acid monosodium salt.