Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Inserter for the positioning of an intrauterine device|
|Abstract:||An inserter for the positioning of an intrauterine device in the uterus, which inserter includes a plunger, a handle attached to the plunger, a string for the removal of the IUD, a locking device to lock the string in such a way that the IUD remains immobile in relation to the plunger, and a protective tube around the plunger. The protective tube is arranged in relation to the plunger in such a way that it can be pushed, at the forward end that goes into the uterus, past the plunger at distance (L) , which corresponds substantially to the length of the IUD assembled for insertion. The stop members ensure that the front edge of the protective tube is stopped in a configuration in which the hemispherical tips of the wings of the transverse member of a T-shaped IUD remain partly uncovered by the protective tube, but the wings nevertheless remain pressed against each other.|
|Inventor(s):||Macandrew; John (St. Neots, GB3), Conway; John (Sawston, GB3), Paton; Michael (Royston, GB3), Gardner; Richard (Royston, GB3), Rauramo; Ilkka (Espoo, FI), Lehtinen; Matti (Piispanristi, FI)|
|Assignee:||Leiras Oy (Turku, FI)|
1. An inserter for the positioning of an essentially T-shaped intrauterine device (IUD), said IUD comprising an elongated body having a transverse member attached at one end of said
body, said transverse member comprising two wings, which inserter comprises
a plunger having a front end adapted to receive the IUD and a rear end,
a handle formed from or attached to the rear end of the plunger,
a locking device operatively attached to said plunger, said locking device adapted to lock a string attached to the IUD in such a way that the IUD remains immobile in relation to the front end of the plunger, and
a protective tube adapted to contain said IUD in a contracted configuration in which said wings of the transverse member of an essentially T-shaped IUD are pressed against each other, said protective tube having a forward end adapted for insertion into the uterus and a rear end,
wherein the protective tube is fitted in slidable relationship around the plunger in such a way that it can be pushed, at the forward end, past the plunger at a distance which corresponds substantially to the length of the IUD in said contracted configuration, and
wherein the rear end of the protective tube, has a first stop surface operatively attached thereto, and
wherein the plunger, has a second stop surface operatively attached thereto located in such a way that the said second stop surface will contact said first stop surface and thereby stop movement of the protective tube in the direction of the uterus when the forward end of the protective tube is in a position in which the tips of said wings of the transverse member of said T-shaped IUD remain partly uncovered by the protective tube, but the wings nevertheless remain pressed against each other.
2. The inserter according to claim 1, wherein the rear end of the protective tube, has a third stop surface operatively attached thereto, and
wherein the plunger has a fourth stop surface operatively attached thereto, such that the said third and fourth stop surfaces, when they abut, indicate the moment at which the protective tube, when moving towards the handle, releases the IUD associated with the forward end of the plunger.
3. The inserter according to claim 2, wherein said handle includes a hollow front end which encompasses a portion of said plunger and said protective tube, said handle having a longitudinal open channel coaxial with said protective tube,
wherein said first and third stop surfaces are located on opposite sides of a knob attached to or formed on said protective tube, with said knob positioned in said channel; and
wherein said second and fourth stop surfaces comprise the opposite surfaces of the handle forming channel.
4. The inserter according to claim 1, wherein the plunger has a hollow bore so that a withdrawal string of said IUD can run in the bore of the plunger.
5. The inserter according to claim 1 wherein the plunger has a concave front end in which a tip of the elongated body of the IUD is caught when the string is tightened, and twisting of the IUD during insertion is thus prevented.
6. The inserter according to claim 1 wherein parts of the plunger and the protective tube that are adapted to be directed towards the uterus are curved.
7. The inserter according to claim 1, in combination with an intrauterine device (IUD).
8. The combination according to claim 7, wherein an elongate member of the IUD comprises a core part around which a jacket-like polymeric reservoir containing an active agent has been fitted.
9. The combination according to claim 8, wherein the active agent is a hormone used for the treatment of menopausal troubles or for contraception.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.