DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,772,346
|Title:||Liquid applicator with structural insert|
|Abstract:||A liquid applicator for applying a desired liquid to a surface includes a closed ampule formed of a fracturable material containing the desired liquid, a body having a pocket with an open side and a shape adapted to receive the ampule, and a porous element sealed to the body and closing off the open side of the pocket so that liquid flows through the element when the ampule is fractured. The body includes a pair of side walls that are spaced from one another in a first direction to define the pocket, and a pair of gripping members, are provided, which can be pivoted to fracture the ampule during use. The porous element is laminated with a material that does not stretch in the first direction, and the laminate material is secured between the side walls of the body to define a structural insert that prevents the side walls from pulling apart from one another when the gripping members are pivoted.|
|Inventor(s):||Edwards; William R. (El Paso, TX)|
|Assignee:||Medi-Flex Hospital Products, Inc. (Overland Park, KS)|
1. A liquid applicator comprising:
a body including a pair of side walls that are spaced from one another in a first direction to define a pocket;
a closed ampule received in the pocket, the ampule being formed of a fracturable material and containing a liquid to be dispensed;
a lever presenting a first end secured to one of the side walls, a second free end, and an intermediate tappet that bears against the body and fractures the ampule when the lever is pivoted; and
a porous element covering the pocket so that liquid flows through the porous element when the ampule is fractured, the porous element being laminated with a material that does not stretch in the first direction, the laminate material being secured directly to the side walls of the body to prevent the side walls from pulling apart from one another when the lever is pivoted.
2. A liquid applicator as recited in claim 1, wherein the body is elongated, defining a longitudinal axis extending transverse to the first direction, the laminate material of the porous element being stretchable along the longitudinal axis.
3. A liquid applicator as recited in claim 2, wherein the laminate material is a fabric.
4. A liquid applicator as recited in claim 2, wherein the laminate material is a polyester fabric.
5. A liquid applicator as recited in claim 1, wherein the ampule is formed of glass and the laminate material of the porous element resists puncture by fragments of the glass from the fractured ampule.
6. A liquid applicator as recited in claim 1, wherein levers are secured to both side walls, each lever including a first end secured to one of the side walls, a second free end, and an intermediate tappet that bears against the body and fractures the ampule when the lever is pivoted.
7. A liquid applicator as recited in claim 1, wherein the laminate material and the material of the body are melted together to secure the porous element to the body.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.