|Abstract:||A starter is provided that includes a starter motor having an armature core with an armature coil wound therearound and an armature shaft for rotatably holding the armature core. A drive shaft is further provided having a pinion that meshes with a ring gear of an engine. A reduction gear mechanism is interposed between the drive shaft and the armature shaft for reducing the rotation relative to the armature shaft to transmit the reduction rotation to the drive shaft. The reduction gear mechanism has a speed reduction ratio of 6:1 to 10:1.|
|Inventor(s):|| Shiga; Tsutomu (Nukata-gun, JP), Hayashi; Nobuyuki (Nagoya, JP), Ohmi; Masanori (Anjo, JP), Kajino; Sadayoshi (Nagoya, JP) |
|Assignee:|| Nippondenso Co., Ltd. (Kariya, JP) |
1. A starter comprising:
a starter motor including an armature core having an armature coil wound thereon and an armature shaft for holding said armature core rotatably;
a drive shaft having a pinion meshing with a ring gear of an engine; and
a reduction gear mechanism interposed between said drive shaft and said armature shaft of said starter motor for reducing the rotation relative to said armature shaft to transmit the reduced rotation to said drive shaft, wherein said reduction
gear mechanism having a speed reduction ration of 6:1 to 10:1,
wherein said reduction gear mechanism is a planetary reduction gear mechanism including:
a sun gear formed at one end of said armature shaft;
a planetary gear mounted on one end of said drive shaft and meshing with said sun gear; and
an internal gear meshing with said planetary gear for forming a stationary side,
wherein said reduction gear mechanism is of a single unit type and the planetary gear transmits rotation of said armature shaft to said drive shaft.
2. A starter according to claim 1, wherein said armature coil includes:
upper-layer and lower-layer coil members fitted in slots of said armature core;
first connection portions connected to one end of said lower-layer coil member and extending generally in parallel with an axial end face of said armature core and in said shaft direction; and
second connection portions connected to one end of said upper-layer coil member and the other end of said first connection portions and extending generally in parallel with said first connection portions.
3. A starter according to claim 2, further comprising:
insulators interposed between said first connection portions and said armature core and between said first connection portions and said second connection portions; and
brushes arranged slidably on said second connection portions.
4. A starter according to any of the claims 1 to 3, further comprising:
a cooling fan for cooling sliding faces of said starter motor with said brushes.
5. A starter according to claim 4, further comprising:
grooves formed between said second connection portions to protrude with respect to a rotating direction of said armature shaft so as to act as said cooling fan for producing a cooling wind when said armature coil rotates.
6. A starter according to any of the claims 1 to 3, further comprising:
limit means for limiting the power supply to said starter motor within a predetermined time period.
7. A starter according to claim 1, wherein said reduction gear mechanism has a speed reduction ratio of about 8.25:1.
8. A starter according to claim 1, wherein the reduction ratio is set so that the total volume V.sub.T,=V.sub.1 +V.sub.2, where V.sub.1 =volume of the starter motor and V.sub.2 =the volume of the planetary gear mechanism, is substantially at a
9. A starter according to claim 1, satisfying the following relationship:
I=Zi/Zs+1 where Zi=the number of teeth of the internal gear, Zs=the number of teeth of the sun gear, and I=the reduction ratio.
10. A starter as in claim 9, wherein the Zi=58 and Zs=8.
11. A starter as in claim 1, wherein an external diameter of the motor is set to 68 mm and an external diameter of the internal gear is set to 58 mm .