Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Manage your formulary budget
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Anticipate generic drug launch
Find generic entry opportunities
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Vision through photodynamic therapy of the eye|
|Abstract:||Photodynamic therapy of conditions of the eye, especially those conditions characterized by unwanted neovasculature, such as age-related macular degeneration, results in enhanced visual acuity for treated subjects,|
|Inventor(s):||Strong; H. Andrew (North Van., CA), Levy; Julia (Vancouver, CA), Huber; Gustav (Zurich, CH), Fsadni; Mario (Buelach, CH)|
|Assignee:||QLT Phototherapeutics Inc (Vancouver, CA)|
1. A method to improve visual acuity in a human subject, which method comprises:
irradiating target ocular tissue in said subject with light emitted from a laser,
wherein said subject has been administered a formulation of a photoactive compound sufficient to permit an effective amount to localize in said target ocular tissue;
wherein the wavelength of the radiation is absorbed by the photoactive compound; and
wherein said radiation is conducted for a time and at an intensity sufficient to improve visual acuity in said subject.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein said irradiation is administered at an irradiance of about 600 mW/cm.sup.2 to provide a total fluence of 50 J/cm.sup.2 -150 J/cm.sup.2 of said light.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein said irradiation is administered beginning about 20-30 minutes after said subject has been administered said formulation.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the eye of said subject contains unwanted neovasculature.
5. The method of claim 4 wherein the neovasculature is choroidal neovasculature.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the photoactive agent is a green porphyrin, a hematoporphyrin derivative, a chlorin, or a phlorin.
7. The method of claim 6 wherein said photoactive compound is a green porphyrin.
8. The method of claim 7 wherein said green porphyrin is of the formula ##STR1## wherein each of R.sup.1 and R.sup.2 is independently selected from the group consisting of carbalkoxyl (2-6 C), alkyl (1-6 C), arylsulfonyl (6-10 C), cyano and --CONR.sup.5 CO-- wherein R.sup.5 is aryl (6-10 C) or alkyl (1-6 C);
each R.sup.3 is independently carboxyl, carboxyalkyl (2-6 C) or a salt, amide, ester or acyl hydrazone thereof, or is alkyl (1-6 C);
R.sup.4 is CH.dbd.CH.sub.2 or --CH(OR.sup.4')CH.sub.3 wherein R.sup.4' is H, or alkyl (1-6 C) optionally substituted with a hydrophilic substituent.
9. The method of claim 8 wherein said green porphyrin is of the formula ##STR2## wherein each of R.sup.1 and R.sup.2 is independently carbalkoxyl (2-6 C); one R.sup.3 is carboxyalkyl (2-6 C) and the other R.sup.3 is the ester of a carboxyalkyl (2-6 C) substituent; and
R.sup.4 is CH.dbd.CH.sub.2 or --CH(OH)CH.sub.3.
10. The method of claim 9 wherein said green porphyrin is of the formula ##STR3## and wherein R.sup.1 and R.sup.2 are methoxycarbonyl;
one R.sup.3 is --CH.sub.2 CH.sub.2 COOCH.sub.3 and the other R.sup.3 is CH.sub.2 CH.sub.2 COOH; and
R.sup.4 is CH.dbd.CH.sub.2; i.e., BPD-MA.
11. The method of claim 1 wherein said formulation contains said photoactive agent complexed with low-density lipoprotein.
12. The method of claim 1 wherein said formulation is a liposomal preparation.
13. The method of claim 1 wherein said subject has been diagnosed with age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
14. The method of claim 1 wherein the subject has been diagnosed with a condition selected from the group consisting of macular degeneration, ocular histoplasmosis syndrome, myopia, and inflammatory diseases.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.