Generated: May 27, 2017
|Title:||Quinoline analogs of mevalonolactone and derivatives thereof|
|Abstract:||Quinoline analogs of mevalonolactone of the following formula are useful as anti-cholesterol synthesis agents: ##STR1## where the substituents are as defined in the specification.|
|Inventor(s):||Wattanasin; Sompong (Hopatcong, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation (East Hanover, NJ)|
1. A compound of the formula ##STR38## wherein each of R and R.sub.o is, independently, C.sub.1-6 alkyl, C.sub.3-7 cycloalkyl or ##STR39## each of R.sub.1, R.sub.2, R.sub.3,
R.sub.4 and R.sub.5 is, independently, hydrogen, C.sub.1-4 alkyl, C.sub.1-4 alkoxy, trifluoromethyl, fluoro, chloro, phenoxy, benzyloxy or hydroxy;
with the provisos that not more than one of R.sub.1 and R.sub.2 is trifluoromethyl, not more than one of R.sub.1 and R.sub.2 is phenoxy, not more than one of R.sub.1 and R.sub.2 is benzyloxy, not more than one of R.sub.1 and R.sub.2 is hydroxy, not more than one of R.sub.3 -R.sub.5 is trifluoromethyl, not more than one of R.sub.3 -R.sub.5 is phenoxy, not more than one of R.sub.3 -R.sub.5 is benzyloxy, and not more than one of R.sub.3 -R.sub.5 is hydroxy;
X is --(CH.sub.2).sub.2 -- or --CH.dbd.CH--; ##STR40## with the proviso that Q may be ##STR41## only when X is --CH.dbd.CH or R.sub.6 is C.sub.1-3 alkyl or both,
R.sub.6 is hydrogen or C.sub.1-3 alkyl;
R.sub.7 is hydrogen, R.sub.8 or M;
R.sub.8 is a physiologically acceptable and hydrolyzable ester group; and
M is a pharmaceutically acceptable cation.
2. A compound according to claim 1 wherein Z is (a) and Q is ##STR42##
3. A compound according to claim 2 which is a 3R,5S isomer.
4. A compound according to claim 2 wherein R and R.sub.o are independently CH.sub.3, isopropyl, phenyl, 3,5-dimethylphenyl or 4-fluorophenyl.
5. A compound according to claim 1 which is (E,)-6-heptenoic acid, 3,5-dihydroxy-7-[2-(1-methylethyl)-4-phenylquinolin-3-yl]-ethyl ester, or its sodium salt.
6. A compound according to claim 1 which is 7-[4-(3,5-dimethylphenyl)-2-methylquinolin-3-yl-3,5-dihydroxy-ethyl ester, or its sodium salt.
7. A compound according to claim 1 which is 6-[2-[4-(3,5-dimethylphenyl)-2-methylquinolin-3-yl]-ethenyl]tetrahydro-2H- pyran-2-one, or its sodium salt.
8. A method of inhibiting cholesterol biosynthesis comprising administering to a mammal in need of such treatment a cholesterol-biosynthesis-inhibiting amount of a compound of claim 1.
9. A method of treating atherosclerosis comprising administering to a mammal in need of such treatment an effective amount of a compound according to claim 1, said effective amount being an amount effective for the treatment of atherosclerosis.
10. A pharmaceutical composition comprising a cholesterol-biosynthesis inhibiting amount of a compound according to claim 1 and a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.