Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Slow release vehicles for minimizing skin irritancy of topical compositions|
|Abstract:||Staple, aqueous gel vehicles are provided for the topical application to the skin of irritating active ingredients such as retinoids, particularly tretinoin, with slow release of the active ingredient and minimal irritancy to the skin. The vehicles include a gelling agent effective to form a gel and hold the active ingredient in the aqueous medium for slow release on the skin, and an effective amount of an antioxidant to retard decomposition of the active ingredient. The vehicles and formulations are preferably aqueous emulsions which contain a solubilizing agent for the generally non-water soluble active ingredients, as well as usually an emulsifying agent and/or surfactant. Chelating agents, emollients, preservatives and other adjuvants and additives may also be included in the vehicles and formulations.|
|Inventor(s):||Bazzano; Gail S. (Metairie, LA)|
1. A stable, aqueous retinoid composition for topical application to the skin with slow release of the retinoid and minimal irritancy to the skin, comprising:
(a) an aqueous medium such that the composition is at least about 40 weight percent water;
(b) an amount of retinoid effective for treatment of a skin condition;
(c) an amount of a high molecular weight polyacrylic acid gelling agent neutralized to a pH of about 3 to 7 effective to form a gel and hold said retinoid for slow release in said aqueous medium; and
(d) an amount of antioxidant effective to retard decomposition of said retinoid in said aqueous medium.
2. A composition according to claim 1 comprising about 0.01 to 0.1 weight percent retinoid, about 0.1 to 10 weight percent gelling agent, about 0.01 to 4 weight percent antioxidant, and at least about 50 weight percent water.
3. A composition according to claim 1 wherein said retinoid is selected from the group consisting of tretinoin and effective, dermatologically acceptable salts, isomers and derivatives thereof.
4. A composition according to claim 1 wherein said antioxidant is selected from the group consisting of dl-alpha-tocopherol, butylated hydroxyanisole, butylated hydroxytoluene, ascorbyl palmitate, and propyl gallate.
5. A composition according to claim 1 which includes about 0.1 to 20 weight percent of a solubilizing agent for said retinoid.
6. A composition according to claim 5 wherein said solubilizing agent is ethanol.
7. A composition according to claim 1 which includes about 0.1 to 20 weight percent of a non-ionic emulsifying agent to form a stable emulsion of said retinoid in water.
8. A composition according to claim 7 wherein said emulsifying agent comprises at least one normally liquid glycol.
9. A composition according to claim 1 which contains a surfactant selected from the group consisting of lecithin, sorbitan monoesters, polysorbates, mononylphenyl ethers of polyethyleneglycols, polyoxyethylene monoesters, dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate, sodium lauryl sulfate, polyoxamers having a molecular weight of 2000 to 8000, triethanolamine, and ureas.
10. A composition according to claim 1 which includes up to about 10 weight percent of a lipophilic agent.
11. A composition according to claim 10 wherein said lipophilic agent is selected from the group consisting of fatty alcohols of about 12 to 20 carbon atoms, fatty acid esters having about 12 to 20 carbon atoms in the fatty acid moiety, petrolatum, plant oils and mineral oils.
12. A composition according to claim 1 which contains about 0.05 to 2 weight percent of a preservative.
13. A composition according to claim 12 wherein said preservative is selected from the group consisting of methyl paraben, ethyl paraben and sorbitol.
14. A composition according to claim 1 which includes up to about 0.5 weight percent of a chelating agent for said retinoid.
15. A composition according to claim 14 wherein said chelating agent is selected from the group consisting of sodium and calcium salts of EDTA.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.