DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,716,957
|Title:||Method for modifying and resetting the bloodstream prolactin levels of a human subject|
|Abstract:||A process for the long term modification and regulation of lipid and glucose metabolism--generally to reduce obesity, insulin resistance, and hyperinsulinemia or hyperglycemia, or both (these being the hallmarks of noninsulin dependent, or Type II diabetes)--by administration to a vertebrate, animal or human, of a dopamine agonist and a prolactin stimulator. The dopamine agonist and prolactin stimulator are administered in daily dosages, respectively, at a time of day dependent on the normal circadian rhythm of fat and lean members of a similar species. Decreases in body fat deposits result by treatment of an obese species on a daily timed sequence based on circadian rhythms of the peak prolactin, or peak prolactin and peak glucocorticosteroid, blood level established for lean insulin sensitive members of a similar species. The dopamine agonist is administered at the time of, or just after the time of peak plasma prolactin concentration found in lean animals of the same species and the prolactin stimulator is administered at a time just before the plasma prolactin rhythm reaches its peak in lean animals. Insulin resistance, and hyperinsulinemia or hyperglycemia, or both, can also be controlled in humans on a long term basis by treatment corresponding to that of the treatment for obesity. The short term daily injections reset hormonal timing in the neural centers of the brain to produce long term effects.|
|Inventor(s):||Cincotta; Anthony H. (Andover, MA), Meier; Albert H. (Baton Rouge, LA)|
|Assignee:||The Board of Supervisors of Louisiana State and Agricultural and (Baton Rouge, LA) Ergo Research Corporation (Wakefield, RI)|
1. A method for modifying and resetting the bloodstream prolactin levels of a human subject said subject being diagnosed as being at least one of insulin insensitive and
diabetic, said method comprising administering to said subject a prolactin-inhibiting compound once a day, within two hours after waking in the morning, in an amount, and for a period of time sufficient to decrease insulin insensitivity and decrease
hyperglycemia in said subject.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the prolactin inhibiting compound is a dopamine agonist.
3. The method of claim 2 wherein the period of time of administration of said dopamine agonist is also sufficient to modify and reset the glucocorticosteroid bloodstream levels of said subject.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the dopamine agonist is selecting from the group consisting of 6-methyl-8-beta-carbobenzyloxy-aminoethyl-10 alpha-ergoline; 1,6-dimethyl-8-beta-carbobenzyloxy-aminoethyl-10 alpha-ergoline; 8-acylaminoergolenes; ergoeornine; 9,10-dihydroergocomine; bromocriptine, and D-2-halo-6-alkyl-8-substituted ergolines.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the compound is bromocriptine.
6. The method of claim 2 wherein the compound is bromocriptine.
7. The method of claim 3 wherein the compound is bromocriptine.
8. The method of claim 4 wherein the compound is bromocriptine.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.