|Title:|| Medicinal aerosol formulations|
|Abstract:||A self-propelling aerosol formulation which may be free from CFC's which comprises a medicament, 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane, a surface active agent and at least one compound having a higher polarity than 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane.|
|Inventor(s):|| Purewal; Tarlochan S. (Leamington Spa, GB2), Greenleaf; David J. (Loughborough, GB2) |
|Assignee:|| Riker Laboratories, Inc. (St. Paul, MN) |
1. An aerosol formulation comprising:
(a) a therapeutically effective amount of a medicament; and
(b) a propellant substantially free of chlorofluorocarbons, said propellant comprising 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane,
said formulation being suitable for delivery to the lung by inhalation.
2. The formulation of claim 1 wherein said medicament is a member selected from the group consisting of salbutamol, beclomethasone dipropionate, disodium cromoglycate, pirbuterol, isoprenaline, adrenaline, rimiterol, and ipratropium bromide.
3. The formulation of claim 1, further comprising (c) a surface active agent.
4. A method for delivering a drug to the lung of a mammal, comprising administering to said mammal an aerosol formulation according to claim 1 by inhalation.
5. A method for treating a mammal having a condition capable of treatment by inhalation, comprising administering to the lung of said mammal an aerosol formulation according to claim 1 by inhalation.