Generated: April 28, 2017
|Abstract:||The invention relates to a synergistic antimalarial composition which comprises the antimalarial agent benflumetol and also an antimalarial agent from the artemisinine group such as artemether. The composition can be formulated into solid dosage forms such as tablets and is useful for the treatment of drug resistant malaria.|
|Inventor(s):||Zhou; Yiqing (Beijing, CN), Ning; Dianxi (Beijing, CN), Wang; Shufen (Beijing, CN), Ding; Deben (Beijing, CN), Li; Guofu (Beijing, CN), Shan; Chengqi (Beijing, CN), Liu; Guangyu (Beijing, CN)|
|Assignee:||Ciba-Geigy AG (Basel, CH) Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Academy of Military Medical (Beijing, CN)|
1. A pharmaceutical composition to be administered orally to humans, suitable for synergistic action of the combined active components against malaria, which composition consists of a
synergistic antimalarially effective amount of a combination of the compound benflumetol of the formula: ##STR3## in fixed combination with the compound artemether of the formula: ##STR4## wherein one of R and R.sub.1 individually represents methoxy, and
the other represents hydrogen,
and pharmaceutically acceptable additives.
2. A pharmaceutical composition according to claim 1, which composition consists of a synergistically effective amount of one to ten parts by weight of benflumetol (I) for each part by weight of artemether (II).
3. A pharmaceutical composition according to claim 1, which composition consists of a synergistically effective amount of three to seven parts by weight of benflumetol (I) for each part by weight of artemether (II).
4. A pharmaceutical composition according to claim 1 which composition consists of a synergistically effective amount of five to six parts by weight of benflumetol (I) for each part by weight of artemether (II).
5. A method of treating malaria which comprises administering orally to a human in need of such treatment a synergistic antimalarially effective amount of a combination of benflumetol of formula (I) and artemether of formula (II).
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.