DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,618,947
|Title:||Process of preparing enantiomers of carbazole derivatives|
|Abstract:||A (+) or (-) enantiomer of a compound of formula (I) wherein R.sup.4 is methyl or ethyl, or a salt, solvate or hydrate thereof, processes for preparing said compounds and pharmaceutical compositions containing them. Compounds of formula (+) are 5-HT.sub.1 -like agonists.|
|Inventor(s):||Borrett; Gary T. (Stansted, GB2), Kitteringham; John (Hertford, GB2), Porter; Roderick A. (Ashwell, GB2), Shipton; Mark R. (Bishop's Stortford, GB2), Vimal; Mythily (Edmonton, GB2), Young; Rodney C. (Oxford, GB2)|
|Assignee:||SmithKline Beecham, p.l.c. (GB2)|
1. A process for preparing (+)-6-carboxamido-3-methylamino-1,2,3,4-tetrahydrocarbazole or a salt, solvate or hydrate thereof which comprises:
(a) Separation of an enantiomeric mixture of (.+-.)-6-carboxamido-3-methylamino-1,2,3,4-tetrahydrocarbazole or a derivative thereof by chromatography, wherein said enantiomeric mixture is prepared by reaction of 4-carboxamido-phenylhydrazine, or a salt thereof, with a ketal of formula (II): ##STR7## wherein R.sup.1 is methyl, R.sup.2 is hydrogen or an N-protecting group and A is an alkylene moiety, said compound of formula (II) being prepared from a protected 1,4-cyclohexane-dione of formula (III): ##STR8## by reaction with an appropriate alkylamine compound.
2. A process according to claim 1 wherein the reaction between a compound of formula (II) and an alkylamine is effected in the presence of suitable molecular sieves to give the corresponding iminoketal derivative which is then converted to an alkylamino compound of formula (II) by catalytic hydrogenation.
3. A process according to claim 2 wherein reaction of a compound of formula (III) with an alkylamine is effected in a hydrocarbon solvent.
4. A process according to claim 3 wherein ethanol is added to the reaction mixture prior to catalytic hydrogenation.
5. A process according to claim 1 wherein reaction between a compound of formula (III) and an alkylamine is effected in ethanol and the mixture hydrogenated directly to give a compound of formula (II), followed if necessary or desired by removal of any N-protecting group, and conversion of a salt into a free base and/or salt formation.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.