DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,602,116
|Title:||Method for treating and preventing secondary hyperparathyroidism|
|Abstract:||A method for preventing loss of bone mass or bone mineral content in a human being suffering from secondary hyperparathyroidism by administering a sufficient amount of 1.alpha.-OH vitamin D.sub.2, 1.alpha.,24(S)-(OH).sub.2 vitamin D.sub.2, 1.alpha.-OH vitamin D.sub.4 or 1.alpha.,24(R)-(OH).sub.2 vitamin D.sub.4.|
|Inventor(s):||Knutson; Joyce C. (Madison, WI), Bishop; Charles W. (Verona, WI), Mazess; Richard B. (Madison, WI)|
|Assignee:||Bone Care International, Inc. (Madison, WI)|
1. A method for lowering or maintaining lowered serum parathyroid hormone in human patients suffering from hyperparathyroidism secondary to end stage renal disease, comprising:
administering to said patients an effective amount of a vitamin D analog to lower and maintain lowered serum parathyroid hormone levels, said analog comprising formula (I): ##STR2## wherein B and C are either hydrogen or a carbon-carbon double bond
between C.sub.22 and C.sub.23 ; and R.sub.1 is hydrogen or hydroxyl provided that when B and C are a double bond, R.sub.1 is hydrogen.
2. The method according to claim 1, wherein said analog of formula (I) is 1.alpha.-OH-vitamin D.sub.2 ; 1.alpha.-OH-vitamin D.sub.4 ; or 1.alpha.,24(R)-(OH).sub.2 -vitamin D.sub.4.
3. The method of claim 2 wherein said analog comprises a dosage of 1 to about 100 .mu.g/week.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein said analog, in solution, in a liquid vehicle ingestible by and nontoxic to said patients, is administered orally in encapsulated form.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein said administration of said analog is parenteral.
6. The method of claim 5 wherein said administration is by subcutaneous, intramuscular, or intravenous injection, nasopharyngeal or mucosal absorption, or transdermal absorption.
7. The method of claim 2, wherein said analog is 1.alpha.-OH-vitamin D2.
8. The method of claim 2, wherein said analog is 1.alpha., 24-(OH).sub.2 -vitamin D2.
9. A method of treating a human to alleviate or prevent the pathological effects of hyperparathyroidism secondary to end stage renal disease, wherein the method comprises administering orally to said human, in need thereof, a vitamin D analog selected from the group consisting of 1.alpha.-OH-vitamin D.sub.2 ; 1.alpha.-OH-vitamin D.sub.4 ; and 1.alpha.,24(R)-(OH).sub.2 -vitamin D.sub.4 wherein said compound is administered to said human in an amount sufficient to lower serum parathyroid hormone levels as measured by blood serum level of parathyroid hormone over time after ingestion in said human to thereby alleviate or prevent said effects.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.