Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Prevention of hyperphosphatemia in kidney disorder patients|
|Abstract:||The 19-nor-vitamin D analogs, and particularly 19-nor-1.alpha.,25-dihydroxyvitamin D.sub.2, possess low calcemic and phosphatemic activity while also having the ability to suppress parathyroid hormone (PTH) production. The suppressive effect on PTH secretion of these 19-nor analogs without significant changes in serum calcium or serum phosphorus make them ideal tools for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients having kidney disorders.|
|Inventor(s):||Deluca; Hector F. (Deerfield, WI), Slatopolsky; Eduardo (St. Louis, MO)|
|Assignee:||Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (Madison, WI)|
1. A method of treating a patient having renal osteodystrophy while avoiding hyperphosphatemia comprising administering to said patient a vitamin D compound that has minimal effect on
blood serum phosphorus of said patient, said vitamin D compound selected from a 19-nor-vitamin D.sub.2 compound having the formula: ##STR5## where X.sup.1 and X.sup.2 each represent, independently, hydrogen or a hydroxy-protecting group; and where
R.sup.1 is selected from hydrogen, hydroxy, protected hydroxy, fluoro, trifluoromethyl, and C.sub.1-5 -- alkyl, which may be straight chain or branched and, optionally, bear a hydroxy or protected-hydroxy substituent; and where each of R.sup.2, R.sup.3,
and R.sup. 4, independently, is selected from hydrogen, fluoro, trifluoromethyl and C.sub.1-5 alkyl, which may be straight-chain or branched, and optionally, bear a hydroxy or protected-hydroxy substituent; and where R.sup.1 and R.sup.2, taken together
represent an oxo group, or an alkylidene group, .dbd.CR.sup.2 R.sup.3, or the group --(CH.sub.2).sub.p --, where p is an integer from 2 to 5; and where R.sup.3 and R.sup.4, taken together, present an oxo group, or a group --(CH.sub.2).sub.q --, where q
is an integer from 2 to 5; and where R.sup.5 represents hydrogen, hydroxy, protected hydroxy, or C.sub.1-5 alkyl.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein said vitamin D compound is administered together with a pharmaceutically accept, able excipient.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein said vitamin D compound is in a solid or liquid vehicle ingestible by and non-toxic to the patient.
4. The method of claim 1 where the said vitamin D compound is 1.alpha.,25-dihydroxy-19-nor-vitamin D.sub.2.
5. The method of claim 1 where the said vitamin D compound is 1.alpha.-hydroxy-19-nor-vitamin D.sub.2.
6. The method of claim 1 where the said vitamin D compound is 1.alpha.-hydroxy-19-nor-24-epi-vitamin D.sub.2.
7. The method of claim 1 where the said vitamin D compound is 1.alpha.,25-dihydroxy),-19-nor-24-epi-vitamin D.sub.2.
8. The method of claim 1 where the said vitamin D compound is administered orally.
9. The method of claim 1 where the said vitamin D compound is administered parenterally.
10. The method of claim 1 where the said vitamin D compound is administered topically.
11. The method of claim 1 where the said vitamin D compound is administered in an amount from 1 .mu.g to about 500 .mu.g per day to the patient.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.