|Abstract:||Malignant tumors in animals are treated by parenterally administering to an affected animal a solution containing a complex compound of platinum in an amount effective to cause regression of the tumor.|
|Inventor(s):||Rosenberg; Barnett (Holt, MI), Vancamp; Loretta (East Lansing, MI), Krigas; Thomas (Okemos, MI)|
|Assignee:||Research Corporation Tech. Inc. (Tucson, AZ)|
1. A therapeutic composition comprising a therapeutically effective amount of an inorganic planar dsp.sup.2 platinum (II) coordination complex, which complex is protected from light,
and which is suitable for therapeutic administration by injection in solution therefor, wherein the donor ligands are Cl, Br, CN, NH.sub.3, OS, NO.sub.3, H.sub.2 O, hydroxy, ethylene diamine, or propylene diamine, and wherein the donor ligands of the
complex form coordinate covalent bonds with the central platinum ion.
2. The therapeutic composition according to claim 1 wherein the platinum coordination complex is dissolved in a stabilizing effective amount of a saline or buffer solution.
3. The therapeutic composition according to claim 1 wherein the platinum complex is in the cis configuration.
4. The therapeutic composition according to claim 3 wherein the platinum complex is cis chloroplatinumamine.
5. The therapeutic composition according to claim 4 which is cis-Pt(II)(NH.sub.3).sub.2 Cl.sub.2.
6. The therapeutic composition according to claim 1 which is Pt(II)(NH.sub.2 CH.sub.2 CH.sub.2 NH.sub.2) Cl.sub.2.