|Title:||Nicotine-impermeable container and method of fabricating the same|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to a nicotine-impermeable container and a method for fabricating same. Additionally, the invention relates to a nicotine inhaling device which allows a user to ingest nicotine vapors orally. The nicotine inhaling device of the present invention is primarily directed to a device which can be used as a smoking cessation aid.|
|Inventor(s):||Hill; Ira (Locust, NJ), Malmborg; Bengt E. (Helsingborg, SE), Oldham; Ronald G. (San Antonio, TX), Turner; James E. (Atascosa, TX), Ellis; Michael P. (San Antonio, TX), Andersson; Sven-Borje (OdAkra, SE)|
|Assignee:||Pharmacia AB (SE)|
1. A nicotine delivery system with an extended shelf life, containing a measured amount of nicotine which can selectively be made accessible to a user, comprising:
(a) a nicotine reservoir for holding and dispersing a measured amount of nicotine;
(b) a self-sealed, nicotine impermeable barrier enclosing the nicotine reservoir, said barrier including at least one nicotine barrier layer formed essentially of a copolymer of acrylonitrile and methyl acrylate;
(c) the barrier layer including at least two adjacent surfaces heat sealed to form a continuous nicotine impermeable barrier so that the nicotine can be prevented from migration outside the barrier.
2. The system of claim 1, wherein the barrier encloses the reservoir in an essentially oxygen-free environment.
3. The system of claim 2, wherein said essentially oxygen-free environment is maintained by a gas inert to nicotine.
4. The system of claim 3, wherein said gas inert to nicotine is nitrogen.
5. The system of claim 1, wherein the barrier further includes a second barrier layer formed of metal foil adhered to at least a portion of the outer surface of the nicotine barrier layer.
6. The system of claim 5, wherein said metal foil is formed of aluminum foil.
7. The system of claim 1, wherein the reservoir comprises a porous polymer plug charged with a solution including at least nicotine free-base.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.