|Title:||Use of lodoxamide to treat ophthalmic allergic conditions|
|Abstract:||Disclosed are methods of using certain defined phenylene dioxamic acids in treating allergic ocular responses, such as, hayfever, conjunctivitis, atopic and keratoconjunctivitis, vernal conjunctivitis, giant capillary conjunctivitis and other diseases where mast cell degranulation are important in the etiology, by topical administration of said active to the affected eye; also disclosed are pharmaceutical compositions comprising said actives.|
|Inventor(s):||Aoki; K. Roger (Fort Worth, TX), DeSantis; Louis M. (Fort Worth, TX)|
|Assignee:||Alcon Laboratories, Inc. (Fort Worth, TX)|
1. A method of treating ocular allergic responses in a human patient, which comprises applying topically to the affected eye of the human patient a therapeutically effective
amount of a composition comprising 0.1 percent by weight of lodoxamide or an equivalent amount of a pharmaceutically acceptable salt or ester of lodoxamide, and a pharmaceutically acceptable vehicle therefor.
2. A method according to claim 1, wherein the composition contains lodoxamide tromethamine.
3. A method according to claim 1, wherein the composition further comprises 0.1 to 0.5 percent by weight of hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose.
4. A method according to claim 1, wherein the composition further comprises an amount of a buffer sufficient to maintain the pH of the composition in the range of 3.0 to 7.0.
5. A method according to claim 4, wherein the buffer comprises sodium citrate and citric acid, and the composition further comprises an amount of mannitol sufficient to provide the composition with an ophthalmically acceptable tonicity and an amount of an ophthalmically acceptable preservative sufficient to maintain the sterility of the composition.
6. A method according to claim 4, wherein the composition contains lodoxamide tromethamine.
7. A method according to claim 1, wherein the composition contains lodoxamide tromethamine and further comprises 0.5 wt. % sodium citrate, 0.21 wt. % citric acid, 2.29 wt. % mannitol, 0.025 wt. % tyloxapol, 0.01 wt. % disodium edetate and 0.01% benzalkonium chloride.
8. A method according to claim 1, wherein the composition is applied topically to the affected eye to treat conjunctivitis.