|Title:||Stable porfimer sodium compositions and methods for their manufacture|
|Abstract:||A storage stable porfimer sodium (polyhematoporphyrin ether/ester) composition useful in the photodynamic therapy of cancer and other conditions is provided. The composition is characterized in that the percentage of ester linked porphyrin oligomers is less than 10% of the composition. Improved processes for preparing such compositions are also provided wherein acetylated hematoporphyrin is treated with alkali for sufficient time and temperature to reduce the amount of porphyrin oligomers joined by ester linkages to less than 10% of the composition.|
|Inventor(s):||Clauss; Steven L. (Manville, NJ), Pastel; Michael J. (Highland Mills, NY), Zawadzki; Rainer K. (Wuhan, CN)|
|Assignee:||American Cyanamid Company (Stamford, CT)|
1. A porfimer sodium pharmaceutical composition comprised of porphyrin oligomers having ether and ester covalent linkages wherein less than 10% of said linkages in the porphyrin
oligomers are ester linkages, said oligomers in association with a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier.
2. A biologically active composition being fluorescent, photosensitizing and having the capability of localizing in and being retained in tumor tissue as compared to normal tissues which composition comprises a mixture of porphyrin oligomers, said oligomers comprised of two to eight porphyrin molecules covalently linked by ether and ester linkages wherein at least one porphyrin molecule has the formula: ##STR4## wherein R is hydroxyethyl or vinyl and wherein the bond shown forms said covalent linkage, and the pharmaceutically acceptable salts thereof; with the proviso that the percentage of said linkages which are ester linkages is less than 10% of said linkages.
3. A porfimer sodium pharmaceutical composition comprised of porphyrin oligomers having ether and ester covalent linkages wherein less than 10% of the linkages in the porphyrin oligomers are ester linkages, in association with a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier, wherein said porphyrin oligomers are prepared by a process which comprises treating acetylated hematoporphyrin under alkali concentration, time and temperature conditions sufficient to reduce the percentage of ester linkages in the porphyrin oligomers to less than 10% of the linkages in the oligomers.
4. The composition of claims 3 wherein the alkali concentration is in a range of 0.1N-1N.
5. The composition of claim 4 wherein the alkali is sodium hydroxide and the time and temperature conditions are 1 hour at room temperature followed by 4.degree. C. for 14-21 days.
6. The composition of claim 4 wherein the alkali is sodium hydroxide and the time and temperature conditions are 16-24 hours at a temperature less than 45.degree. C.
7. The composition of claim 3 wherein the alkali is sodium hydroxide, and the conditions are alkali concentration of 0.1N for 1 hour at room temperature followed by alkali concentration of 0.2N-1N for 2-4 hours at room temperature.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.