|Title:||Method of treating cardiac insufficiency using angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to a method of treating cardiac insufficiency by using compounds of the formula I ##STR1## in which n is 1 or 2, R, R.sup.1, R.sup.2 and R.sup.3 are identical or different and each denote hydrogen or an organic radical and R.sup.4 R.sup.5, together with the atoms carrying them, form a mono-, bi- or tri-cyclic heterocyclic ring system. The invention furthermore relates to compounds of the formula I and agents containing these for use in the treatment of the abovementioned disease.|
|Inventor(s):||Henning; Rainer (Hattersheim am Main, DE), Urbach; Hansjorg (Kronberg/Taunus, DE), Teetz; Volker (Hofheim am Taunus, DE), Geiger; Rolf (Frankfurt am Main, DE), Scholkens; Bernward (Kelheim (Taunus), DE)|
|Assignee:||Hoechst Aktiengesellschaft (Frankfurt am Main, DE)|
1. A method for treating cardiac insufficiency in a mammal comprising the step of administering to a mammal in recognized need of, and for the purpose of said treatment, an amount of an
angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor of the formula I, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, effective for said treatment, wherein said inhibitor or salt thereof is substantially free of other isomers, said formula I having the structure:
##STR6## in which n is 2,
R is phenyl,
R.sup.1 is methyl,
R.sup.2 is hydrogen, methyl, ethyl or benzyl,
R.sup.3 is hydrogen, and
R.sup.4 and R.sup.5 together with the atoms carrying them form an octahydrocyclopenta[b]pyrrole ring system, provided that all the chiral atoms of said inhibitor or salt thereof are in the S position.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein N-(1-S-carbethoxy-3-phenyl-propyl)-S-alanyl-1S,3S,5S-2-azabicyclo[3.3.01oc tane-3-carboxylic acid or a salt thereof is administered.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein N-(1-S-carboxy-3-phenyl-propyl)-S-alanyl-1S,3S,5S-2-azabicyclo[3.3.01-octa ne-3-carboxylic acid or a salt thereof is administered.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein said inhibitor or salt thereof is administered orally or parenterally.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein said inhibitor or salt thereof is administered in combination with a pharmaceutically suitable excipient or acceptable organic or inorganic substance.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein said angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor of Formula I is administered in a sub-anti-hypertensive dose.