|Title:||Contrast media comprising a non-ionic contrast agent and sodium ions|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to improved contrast media containing non-ionic contrast agents, e.g. non-ionic iodinated X-ray contrast agents, the improvement being achieved by incorporation of sodium at 20-60 mM/l.|
|Inventor(s):||Almen; Torsten (Malmo, SE), B.ANG..ANG.th; Laars (Malmo, SE), Oksendal; Audun (Oslo, NO)|
|Assignee:||Nycomed Imaging AS (Oslo, NO)|
1. A contrast medium comprising a non-ionic contrast agent in a physiologically tolerable aqueous carrier medium characterized in that said medium has a sodium ion concentration of from
26 up to 26 mM, whereby a beneficial balance between the lowering of red blood cell aggregate formation, lowering of echinocyte formation, increasing of rouleaux formation, lowering of contractile force reduction and lowering of the occurrence of
ventricular fibrillation is achieved.
2. A medium as claimed in claim 1 wherein said sodium ion concentration is in the range 27 to 30 mM.
3. A medium as claimed in claim 1 wherein the contrast agent is a ratio 3 or 6 iodinated X-ray contrast agent.
4. A medium as claimed in claim 3 wherein the contrast agent is an iodinated X-ray contrast agent selected from the group consisting of metrizamide, iopromide, iopentol, iopamidol, iohexol, loversol, iotrolan and iodixanol.
5. A medium as claimed in claim 3 wherein the contrast agent is present at a concentration of at least 100 mg I/ml.
6. A medium as claimed in claim 1 having an osmolality of less than 1 osm/kg H.sub.2 O.
7. A medium as claimed in claim 1 further comprising physiologically tolerable cations.
8. A method of cardiac imaging of the human or non-human animal body, which method comprises administering to said body a contrast medium as claimed in claim 1 and generating an image of at least a part of the cardiac region of said body.
9. A medium as claimed in claim 1 wherein said agent is an iodinated X-ray contrast agent.
10. A medium as claimed in claim 7 wherein said cations are selected from the group consisting of chloride, phosphate, hydrogen carbonate and a mixture thereof.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.