|Title:||Contrast media comprising a non-ionic contrast agent and sodium ions|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to improved contrast media containing non-ionic contrast agents, e.g. non-ionic iodinated X-ray contrast agents, the improvement being achieved by incorporation of sodium at 20-60 mM/l.|
|Inventor(s):||Almen; Torsten (Malmo, SE), B.ANG..ANG.th; Laars (Malmo, SE), Oksendal; Audun (Oslo, NO)|
|Assignee:||Nycomed Imaging AS (Oslo, NO)|
1. A contrast medium comprising a non-ionic contrast agent in a physiologically tolerable aqueous carrier medium characterized in that said medium has a sodium ion concentration of from
26 up to 26 mM, whereby a beneficial balance between the lowering of red blood cell aggregate formation, lowering of echinocyte formation, increasing of rouleaux formation, lowering of contractile force reduction and lowering of the occurrence of
ventricular fibrillation is achieved.
2. A medium as claimed in claim 1 wherein said sodium ion concentration is in the range 27 to 30 mM.
3. A medium as claimed in claim 1 wherein the contrast agent is a ratio 3 or 6 iodinated X-ray contrast agent.
4. A medium as claimed in claim 3 wherein the contrast agent is an iodinated X-ray contrast agent selected from the group consisting of metrizamide, iopromide, iopentol, iopamidol, iohexol, loversol, iotrolan and iodixanol.
5. A medium as claimed in claim 3 wherein the contrast agent is present at a concentration of at least 100 mg I/ml.
6. A medium as claimed in claim 1 having an osmolality of less than 1 osm/kg H.sub.2 O.
7. A medium as claimed in claim 1 further comprising physiologically tolerable cations.
8. A method of cardiac imaging of the human or non-human animal body, which method comprises administering to said body a contrast medium as claimed in claim 1 and generating an image of at least a part of the cardiac region of said body.
9. A medium as claimed in claim 1 wherein said agent is an iodinated X-ray contrast agent.
10. A medium as claimed in claim 7 wherein said cations are selected from the group consisting of chloride, phosphate, hydrogen carbonate and a mixture thereof.