Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Find generic entry opportunities
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Manage your formulary budget
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method for treating asthma using optically pure (R)-albuterol|
|Abstract:||The optically pure R(-) isomer of albuterol, which is substantially free of the S(+) isomer, is a potent bronchodilator for relieving the symptoms associated with asthma in individuals. A method is disclosed utilizing the optically pure R(-) isomer of albuterol for treating asthma while minimizing the side effects associated with chronic administration of racemic albuterol.|
|Inventor(s):||Barberich; Timothy J. (Concord, MA), Young; James W. (Still River, MA)|
|Assignee:||Sepracor, Inc. (Marlborough, MA)|
1. A method of treating asthma in an individual with albuterol, while reducing side effects associated with chronic administration of racemic albuterol, comprising chronically
administering to the individual a quantity of an optically pure R(-) isomer of albuterol sufficient to result in bronchodilation while simultaneously reducing undesirable side effects, said R isomer being substantially free of its S(+) isomer.
2. A method of claim 1 wherein the amount of the R(-) isomer of albuterol is greater than approximately 90% by weight of total albuterol.
3. A method of claim 2 wherein the amount of the R(-) isomer of albuterol is greater than 99% by weight of total albuterol.
4. A method of claim 1 comprising administering to the individual by inhalation from approximately 30 mcg to approximately 90 mcg of the R(-) isomer of albuterol per dose.
5. A method of claim 1 comprising orally administering to the individual from approximately 1 mg to approximately 8 mg of the R(-) isomer of albuterol two to four times daily.
6. A method of treating asthma in an individual with albuterol, while reducing side effects associated with chronic administration or racemic albuterol, comprising chronically administering to the individual a quantity of an optically pure R(-) isomer of albuterol sufficient to result in bronchodilation while simultaneously reducing undesirable side effects and at least one additional drug selected from the group consisting of bronchodilators, antihistamines and analgesics.
7. A method of claim 6 wherein the analgesic is selected from the group consisting of: aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.