|Title:||Derivatives and analogues of 2-deoxy-2,3-didehydro-N-acetyl neuraminic acid and their use as antiviral agents|
|Abstract:||Derivatives and analogues of 2-deoxy-2,3-didehydro-N-acetyl neuraminic acid, pharmaceutical formulations thereof, methods for their preparation .and their use in the treatment of viral infections, in particular influenza, are described.|
|Inventor(s):||von Izstein; Laurence M. (North Fitzray, AU), Wu; Wen-Yang (Mount Waverley, AU), Phan; Tho V. (Carnegie, AU), Danylec; Basil (Box Hill, AU), Jin; Betty (Mount Waverley, AU)|
|Assignee:||Biota Scientific Management Pty Ltd (Melbourne, AU)|
1. A compound of formula (Ib) ##STR22## wherein R.sup.3b is (alk).sub.x NR.sup.6b R.sup.7b, CN or N.sub.3 ; where alk is an unsubstituted or substituted methylene;
x is 0 or 1;
R.sup.6b is hydrogen, C.sub.1-6 alkyl, aryl, aralkyl, amidine, NR.sup.7b R.sup.8b or an unsaturated or saturated ring containing one or more heteroatoms selected from the group consisting of nitrogen, oxygen and sulphur;
R.sup.7b is hydrogen, C.sub.1-6 alkyl, or allyl;
R.sup.8b is hydrogen or C.sub.1-6 alkyl; and R.sup.4b is NNHCOR.sup.9b where R.sup.9b is hydrogen, substituted or unsubstituted C.sub.1-4 alkyl or aryl;
or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt or derivative thereof.
2. A compound as claimed in claim 1 wherein R.sup.3b is NH.sub.2 or NHC(.dbd.NH)NH.sub.2 .
3. 5-acetamido-4-amino- 2,3,4,5-tetradeoxy-D-glycero-D-galacto-non-2-enopyranosonic acid and pharmaceutically acceptable salts and derivatives thereof.
4. Sodium 5-acetamido-4-amino-2,3,4,5-tetradeoxy-D-glycero-D-galacto-non-2-enopyrano sonate.
5. 5-ac etamido-4-guanidino-2,3,4,5-tetradeoxy-D-glycero-D-galacto-non-2-enopyranos onic acid and pharmaceutically acceptable salts and derivatives thereof.
6. Ammonium 5-acetamido-4-guanidino-2,3,4,5-tetradeoxy-D-glycero-D-galacto-non-2-enopy ranosonate.
7. A pharmaceutical formulation comprising a compound as claimed in claim 1 as active ingredient together with a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier therefor.
8. A pharmaceutical formulation suitable for intranasal administration comprising a compound as claimed in claim 1 as active ingredient together with a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier therefor.
9. A pharmaceutical formulation as claimed in claim 7 wherein the active ingredient is 5-acetamido-4-amino-2,3,4,5-tetradeoxy-D-glycero-D-galacto-non-2-enopyrano sonic acid or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof.
10. A pharmaceutical formulation as claimed in claim 7 wherein the active ingredient is 5-acetamido-4-guanidino-2,3,4,5-tetradeoxy-D-glycero-D-galacto-non-2-enopy ranosonic acid or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof.