Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Manage your formulary budget
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Find generic entry opportunities
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
|Title:||Antiplaque antibacterial oral composition|
|Abstract:||An oral composition dentifrice comprising an orally acceptable vehicle, about 5-30% by weight of a siliceous polishing agent, about 0.25-0.35% by weight of a substantially water-insoluble noncationic antibacterial antiplaque agent, such as 2,4,4'-trichloro-2'-hydroxydiphenyl ether (triclosan) and an antibacterial-enhancing agent which enhances the delivery of said antibacterial agent to, and retention thereof on, oral surfaces.|
|Inventor(s):||Gaffar; Abdul (Princeton, NJ), Nabi; Nuran (Brunswick, NJ), Afflitto; John (Brookside, NJ), Stringer; Orum (Yardley, PA)|
|Assignee:||Colgate-Palmolive Co. (New York, NY)|
1. An oral composition for attaching, adhering or bonding a plaque-inhibiting agent to oral tooth and gum surface comprising in an orally acceptable aqueous humectant vehicle, about
5-30% by weight of a siliceous polishing agent, about 0.25%-0.35% by weight of a substantially water insoluble noncationic antibacterial agent, said oral composition comprising at least one of a surface active agent and a flavoring oil and about 0.05-4%
by weight of an antibacterial-enhancing agent which contains at least one delivery-enhancing functional group and at least one organic retention-enhancing group, wherein said delivery-enhancing group enhances delivery of said antibacterial agent to oral
tooth and gum surfaces and said retention-enhancing group enhances attachment, adherence or bonding of said antibacterial agent on oral tooth and gum surfaces, wherein said oral composition is free of polyphosphate anticalculus agent in an effective
anticalculus amount and said vehicle is other than polyethylene glycol which reduces the antibacterial activity of said antibacterial agent.
2. The oral composition claimed in claim 1 wherein said antibacterial agent is selected from the group consisting of halogenated diphenyl ethers, halogenated salicylanilides, benzoic esters, halogenated carbanilides and phenolic compounds.
3. The oral composition claimed in claim 2 wherein said antibacterial agent is a halogenated diphenyl ether.
4. The oral composition claimed in claim 3 wherein said halogenated diphenyl ether is 2,4,4'-trichloro-2'-hydroxyphenyl ether.
5. The oral composition claims in any one of claims 1 to 4 wherein said surface active agent is present in amount of about 0.5-5% by weight.
6. The oral composition claims in any one of claims 1 to 4 wherein said flavoring oil is present in amount of about 0.1-5% by weight.
7. The oral composition according to any one of claims 1 to 4 wherein said antibacterial-enhancing agent has an average molecular weight of about 100 to about 1,000,000.
8. The oral composition according to claim 7 wherein said delivery-enhancing group is acidic.
9. The oral composition according to claim 8 wherein said delivery-enhancing group is selected from the group consisting of carboxylic, phosphoric, phosphinic, and sulfonic acids, and salts, and mixtures thereof and wherein said organic retention-enhancing group comprises the formula --(X).sub.n --R wherein X is O, N, S, SO, SO.sub.2, P, PO or Si, R is hydrophobic alkyl, aryl, alkaryl, alkenyl, acyl, aralkyl, heterocyclic, or inert-substituted derivatives thereof, and n is zero or 1 or more and wherein said antibacterial-enhancing agent is a natural or synthetic monomer or a polymer selected from the group consisting of oligomers, homopolymers, copolymers of two or more monomers, ionomers, block copolymers, graft copolymers and cross-linked polymers and monomers.
10. The oral composition according to claim 9 wherein said antibacterial-enhancing agent is an anionic polymer containing a plurality of said delivery-enhancing and retention-enhancing groups.
11. The oral composition according to claim 10 wherein said anionic polymer comprises a chain containing repeating units each containing at least one carbon atom.
12. The oral composition according to claim 11 wherein the unit contains at least one delivery-enhancing group and at least one retention-enhancing group bonded to the same, vicinal, or other atoms in the chain.
13. The oral preparation according to claim 9 wherein the delivery-enhancing group is a phosphonic group or salt thereof.
14. The oral composition according to claim 13 wherein said antibacterial-enhancing agent is poly (beta-styrenephosphonic acid), poly (alpha-styrenephosphonic acid) polymer, or copolymer of either styrenephosphonic acid with the other or with another ethylenically unsaturated polymerizable monomer.
15. The oral composition according to any one of claims 1 to 4 containing a fluoride-providing source.