Generated: May 29, 2017
|Abstract:||A dosage form is disclosed comprising means for delaying the delivery of drug from the dosage form following the administration of the dosage form to a patient in need of drug therapy.|
|Inventor(s):||Jao; Frank (San Jose, CA), Wong; Patrick S. L. (Palo Alto, CA), Huynh; Hoa T. (Fremont, CA), McChesney; Kathy (Cupertino, CA), Wat; Pamela K. (Santa Clara, CA)|
|Assignee:||Alza Corporation (Palo Alto, CA)|
1. A method for producing a delayed therapeutic effect of thirty minutes to seven hours in a patient in need of therapy, wherein the method comprises:
(a) admitting into the gastrointestinal tract of a patient a dosage form comprising:
(1) a drug composition comprising 0.05 mg to 1.5 g of a drug, and a pharmaceutically acceptable polymer comprising a molecular weight up to 1,000,000;
(2) a push composition that imbibes fluid and expands, whereby the push composition pushes the drug composition from the dosage form;
(3) a wall that surrounds the drug and push compositions, said wall comprising a semipermeable polymer permeable to the passage of fluid and up to 85 wt. % of a different polymer comprising a molecular weight up to 4,000,000 molecular weight for slowing the rate of fluid passage through the semipermeable wall;
(4) at least one exit means in the semipermeable wall for delivering the drug from the dosage form; and wherein the dosage form is characterized by:
(5) a subcoat for the delayed-delivery of the drug, which subcoat comprises a hydroxyalkylcellulose polymer comprising a molecular weight up to 4,000,000 that surrounds the drug and the composition on the inside surface of the semipermeable wall;
(b) imbibing fluid into the dosage form to provide a delayed drug delivery of thirty minutes up to seven hours b the polymer in the drug composition, the polymer in the semipermeable wall and the polymer in the subcoat operation operating together for delaying the drug delivery; and,
(c) administering the drug at a delayed time to the patient in need of drug therapy.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.