DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,246,925
|Title:||19-nor-vitamin D compounds for use in treating hyperparathyroidism|
|Abstract:||This invention provides a novel class of vitamin D-related compounds, namely the 1.alpha.-hydroxy-19-nor-vitamin D analogs, as well as a general method for their chemical synthesis. The compounds exhibit pronounced activity in arresting the proliferation of undifferentiated cells, including malignant cells, and in inducing their differentiation, and thus represent novel therapeutic agents for the treatment of malignant and other diseases characterized by the proliferative growth of undifferentiated cells. Formulations for therapeutic use and treatment methods are also provided.|
|Inventor(s):||DeLuca; Hector F. (Deerfield, WI), Schnoes; Heinrich K. (Madison, WI), Perlman; Kato L. (Madison, WI), Sicinski; Rafal R. (Warsaw, PL), Prahl; Jean M. (Madison, WI)|
|Assignee:||Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (Madison, WI)|
|Patent Litigation and PTAB cases:||See patent lawsuits and PTAB cases for patent 5,246,925|
1. A method for treating hyperparathyroidism which comprises suppressing parathyroid activity by administering to a patient having such a disorder at least one compound having the
formula ##STR9## where X.sup.1 and X.sup.2 are each selected from the group consisting of hydrogen, acyl, alkylsilyl and alkoxyalkyl, and where R is selected from the group consisting of alkyl, hydrogen, hydroxyalkyl, fluoroalkyl and a side chain of the
formula ##STR10## where R.sup.1 represents hydrogen, hydroxy or O-acyl, R.sup.2 and R.sup.3 are each selected from the group consisting of alkyl, hydroxyalkyl and fluoroalkyl, or, when taken together represent the group --(CH.sub.2).sub.m -- where m is
an integer having a value of from 2 to 5, R.sup.4 is selected from the group consisting of hydrogen, hydroxy, fluorine, O-acyl, alkyl, hydroxyalkyl and fluoroalkyl, R.sup.5 is selected from the group consisting of hydrogen, fluorine, alkyl, hydroxyalkyl
and fluoroalkyl, or, R.sup.4 and R.sup.5 taken together represent double-bonded oxygen, R.sup.6 and R.sup.7 are each selected from the group consisting of hydrogen, hydroxy, O-acyl, fluorine and alkyl, or, R.sup.6 and R.sup.7 taken together form a
carbon-carbon double bond, and wherein n is an integer having a value of from 1 to 5 and wherein the carbon at any one of positions 20, 22, or 23 in the side chain may be replaced by an O, S, or N atom, with the proviso that when n is 1 then R.sup.2 and
R.sup.3 must both be methyl, said at least one compound administered by oral, topical or parenteral means in an amount from about 1 .mu.g to about 500 .mu.g per day to the patient sufficient to suppress parathyroid activity thereby treating renal
2. The method of claim 1 wherein said at least one compound is administered together with a pharmaceutically acceptable excipient.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein said at least one compound is in a solid or liquid vehicle ingestible by and non-toxic to the patient.
4. The method of claim 1 where the said at least one compound is 1.alpha.,25-dihydroxy-19-nor-vitamin D.sub.3.
5. The method of claim 1 where the said at least one compound is 1.alpha.-hydroxy-19-nor-vitamin D.sub.3.
6. The method of claim 1 where the said at least one compound is 1.alpha.,25-dihydroxy-19-nor-vitamin D.sub.2.
7. The method of claim 1 where the said at least one compound is 1.alpha.-hydroxy-19-nor-vitamin D.sub.2.
8. The method of claim 1 where the said at least one compound is 1.alpha.-hydroxy-19-nor-24 epi-vitamin D.sub.2.
9. The method of claim 1 where the said at least one compound is 1.alpha.,25-dihydroxy-19-nor-24 epi-vitamin D.sub.2.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.