Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Anticipate generic drug launch
Manage your formulary budget
Find generic entry opportunities
|Title:||Benzoporphyrin derivatives for photodynamic therapy|
|Abstract:||Green porphyrins (Gp), compounds important in photodynamic therapy, have been associated with lipocomplexes to reduce the required amount of photosensitizer through higher effective absorption and increased specificity. BPDs, especially in conjunction with the HDL fraction of plasma lipoproteins, has been shown to be particularly effective in this context. Pharmaceutical compositions in which these combinations are the active ingredients for use in diagnosis and treatment of tumors are also disclosed.|
|Inventor(s):||Allison; Beth A. (Vancouver, CA), Richter; Anna M. (Vancouver, CA), Pritchard; P. Haydn (Vancouver, CA), Levy; Julia G. (Vancouver, CA)|
|Assignee:||University of British Columbia (British Columbia, CA)|
1. A pharmaceutical composition for photodynamic therapy comprising:
a green porphyrin compound having a formula selected from the group consisting of ##STR4## wherein R.sup.1 and R.sup.2 are independently selected from the group consisting of hydrogen, carbalkoxy (2-6 C), alkyl (1-6 C) sulfonyl, aryl (6-10 C) sulfonyl, aryl (6-10 C), and cyano, further wherein at least one of R.sup.1 and R.sup.2 is not hydrogen;
each R.sup.3 is independently selected from the group consisting of alkyl (1-6 C), carboxyalkyl (2-6 C) and salts and esters thereof; and
R.sup.4 is selected from the group consisting of --CH.dbd.CH.sub.2, --CH.sub.2 OR', --CHO, --COOR', --CH(OR')CH.sub.3, --CH(OR')CH.sub.2 OR', --CH(SR')CH.sub.3, --CH(NR'.sub.2)CH.sub.3, --CH(CN)CH.sub.3, --CH(COOR')CH.sub.3, --CH(OOCR')CH.sub.3, --CH(halo)CH.sub.3, and --CH(halo)CH.sub.2 (halo), wherein each R' is hydrogen or alkyl (1-6 C);
a lipocomplex; and
a pharmaceutically acceptable injectable carrier solution.
2. A composition of claim 1 wherein the green porphyrin is BPD-DA.
3. A composition of claim 1 wherein the green porphyrin is BPD-MA.
4. A composition of claim 1 wherein the lipocomplex is a lipoprotein mixture including HDL's, LDL's, VLDL's or combinations thereof.
5. The composition of claim 4 wherein the lipoprotein mixture consists essentially of HDL's.
6. The composition of claim 4 wherein the lipoprotein mixture consists essentially of LDL's.