Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Method of contraception|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to an implant of polymeric material which can release a contraceptive agent for a relatively long time when fitted subcutaneously or locally.|
|Inventor(s):||De Nijs; Hendrik (Oss, NL)|
|Assignee:||Akzo N.V. (Arnhem, NL)|
1. A method of contraception comprising: subcutaneously or locally administering an implant said implant comprising:
core material of ethylene/vinyl acetate copolymer having such a molecular weight that the melt index is equal to or greater than 10 grams/10 minutes, and a vinyl acetate content of at least 20% by weight, which core material functions as a matrix for at least one highly active progestogen present in a quantity sufficient for a release rate of greater than 30 .mu.g of said progestogen per day over a term of at least one year, and
a membrane having a layer thickness of 50-250 .mu.m which encases the core material and also consists of ethylene/vinyl acetate copolymer, but with such a molecular weight that the melt index is less than or equal to 10 grams/10 minutes, and a vinyl acetate content of less than 20% by weight, which membrane, with the core material, forms a contact layer at the interface of the core material and membrane thus preventing the core material and membrane, from separating from one another.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the core material of said implant comprises an ethylene/vinyl acetate copolymer with a melt index between 25 and 30 grams/10 minutes and a vinyl acetate content of greater than 25% by weight.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the membrane of said implant comprises an ethylene/vinyl acetate copolymer with a melt index less than or equal to 8 grams/10 minutes and a vinyl acetate content of less than 20% by weight.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the highly active progestogen comprises 3-ketodesogestrel.
5. The method according to claim 1, wherein said implant is of essentially cylindrical shape with a maximum external diameter of about 2 mm and a length of less than about 5 cm.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein said core of the implant comprises about 50 to 75% contraceptive substance and from about 50 to 25% ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer.
7. The method of claim 6, wherein the ends of the implant are covered by an inert polymer.
8. The method of claim 3, wherein the implant further comprises a layer of polysiloxane coating the entire implant.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.