DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 5,079,262
|Title:||Method of detection and treatment of malignant and non-malignant lesions utilizing 5-aminolevulinic acid|
|Abstract:||A method of detecting and treating malignant and non-malignant tissue abnormalities and lesions of the skin, conjunctives, respiratory, digestive and vaginal mucosa; endometrium and urothelium in which 5-aminolevulinic acid is administered to the patient in an amount sufficient to induce synthesis of protoporphyrin IX in the leisons, followed by exposure of the treated lesion to a photoactivating light in the range 350-640 nm.|
|Inventor(s):||Kennedy; James C. (Kingston, CA), Pottier; Roy H. (Kingston, CA), Reid; Robert L. (Kingston, CA)|
|Assignee:||Queen's University at Kingston (Kingston, CA)|
1. A method for treating malignant and non-malignant tissue abnormalities and lesions of the skin; conjunctiva; respiratory, digestive and vaginal mucosa; endometrium; and
urothelium which are sensitive to protoporphyrin IX in a patient in need thereof comprising administering to said patient an effective amount of 5-aminolevulinic acid so as to induce synthesis of protoporphyrin IX in said lesions, and exposing said
lesions to light within the photoactivating action spectrum of said photoporphyrin IX.
2. A method as claimed in claim 1 wherein said malignant lesions are selected from basal, baso-squamous and squamous carcinomas.
3. A method as claimed in claim 1 wherein said non-malignant lesions are selected from psoriasis and genital warts.
4. A method as claimed in claim 1 wherein said photoactivating light is in the range 350-640 nm.
5. A method as claimed in claim 1 wherein said 5-aminolevulinic acid is administered parenterally.
6. A method as claimed in claim 1 wherein said 5-aminolevulinic acid is administered topically.
7. A method as claimed in claim 1 wherein said 5-aminolevulinic acid is administered orally.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.