DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 4,957,745
|Abstract:||Controlled release preparation containing a number of beads comprising a salt of metoprolo as the main soluble component, a method for the production thereof and the use in the treatment of cardiovascular disorders.|
|Inventor(s):||Jonsson; Ulf E. (Molndal, SE), Sandberg; John A. (Molndal, SE), Sjogren; John A. (Molnycke, SE)|
|Assignee:||Aktiebolaget Hassle (Molndal, SE)|
|Patent Litigation and PTAB cases:||See patent lawsuits and PTAB cases for patent 4,957,745|
1. Controlled release preparation comprising a plurality of beads having a soluble component comprising at least 95% weight/weight of a salt of metoprolol which has a solubility of less
than 600 mg/ml in water at 25.degree. C. and a metoprolol permeable polymeric membrane coating surrounding each of said beads, said coating consisting essentially of ethylcellulose or a mixture of ethylcellulose and hydroxypropylmethylcellulose wherein
the coating is present in amounts such that the metoprolol is released through the coating over a period of at least 15 hours virtually independent of pH in the interval pH 1-8.
2. Preparation according to claim 1 wherein the size of the beads is in the range of 0.25-2 mm.
3. Preparation according to claim 2 wherein the size of the beads is in the range of 0.35-1.0 mm.
4. Preparation according to claim 1 wherein at least 50% of the dose of metoprolol is released at a rate of 3-7 w/w %/hour.
5. Preparation according to claim 1 wherein the salt of metoprolol has a solubility of 30-600 mg/ml.
6. Preparation according to claim 5 wherein the salt of metoprolol is formed of an organic carboxylic acid.
7. Preparation according to claim 6 wherein the salt of metoprolol is the succinate or fumarate of racemic metoprolol.
8. Preparation according to claim 6 wherein the salt of metoprolol is the bensoate or sorbate of the S-enantiomer of metoprolol.
9. Preparation according to claim 1 wherein the beads comprise at least 95 w/w % of metoprolol.
10. Preparation according to claim 1 wherein the beads further comprise an insoluble core disposed in the interior of the soluble component.
11. Preparation according to claim 10 wherein the insoluble cores have a size of 0.1-1.0 mm.
12. Preparation according to claim 10 wherein the insoluble cores have a size of 0.15-0.3 mm and are covered with a layer of the soluble component to give beads having a size of 0.35-1.0 mm.
13. Preparation according to claim 9 wherein the beads have a size of 0.35-1.0 mm.
14. Preparation according to claim 1 wherein polymeric membrane contains ethyl cellulose together with hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose.
15. A pharmaceutical preparation containing the controlled release preparation according to claim 1 filled into hard gelatine capsules.
16. A pharmaceutical preparation comprising the controlled release preparation according to claim 1 and pharmaceutical additives compressed to tablets which disintegrate to release the preparation when the tablets are brought into contact with gastro-intestinal fluids.
17. Method of producing a preparation according to claim 1 comprising spray coating beads comprising a salt of metoprolol with a membrane-forming solution consisting essentially of ethylcellulose.
18. A method for the treatment of cardiovascular disorders comprising administering a composition according to claim 1 to a host in need of such treatment in a therapeutically effective amount.
19. Preparation according to claim 10, wherein the insoluble cores have a size of 0.15-0.3 mm.
20. Preparation according to claim 1, wherein the amount of coating is such that at least 75% of the metoprolol is released over a period of 20 hours.
21. Preparation according to claim 1, wherein the soluble component comprises at least 95% w/w of the salt of metoprolol.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.