|Title:||Stable pharmaceutical composition of 3-(hydroxymethyl)-5,5-diphenylhydantoin disodium phosphate ester|
|Abstract:||Described is a stable pharmaceutical composition of 3-(hydroxymethyl-5,5-diphenylhydantoin disodium phosphate ester, the prodrug of 5,5-diphenylhydantoin (phenytoin) a commonly used drug for the treatment and management of epilepsy and other types of convulsive states. It has been found that degradation of the prodrug to phenytoin can be controlled by controlling the pH of the composition. Controlling the pH to between 8.3 to 9.4 results in the production of diphenylglycinamide as the primary degradant and minimization of degradation to phenytoin. If the pH is maintained at a lower or higher value, then the degradation pattern changes, with earlier than expected product failure.|
|Inventor(s):||Herbranson; Dale E. (Lindenhurst, IL), Speicher; Earl R. (Buffalo Grove, IL), Rosenberg; Leonard S. (Flemington, NJ)|
|Assignee:||E. I. Du Pont de Nemours and Company (Wilmington, DE)|
1. An injectable, aqueous pharmaceutical composition for the treatment of convulsive states comprising an effective amount of 3-(hydroxymethyl)-5,5-diphenylhydantoin disodium
phosphate ester (phenytoin prodrug) for treating such convulsive states, said composition comprising about 35 mg to about 180 mg of prodrug/mL of solution and 0.05 to 0.2 M buffer; said composition having a pH range of about 8.3 to 9.4, the prodrug
degrading in aqueous solution to produce diphenylglycinamide as the primary degradant with minimal quantities of phenytoin, the pH range of said composition acting to allow the degradation to proceed whereby the shelf-life of the prodrug in an aqueous
composition is maximized.
2. The composition of claim 1 wherein the buffer is selected from the group comprising tromethamine, bicine and tricine.
3. The composition of claim 2 wherein the buffer is tromethamine.
4. The composition of claim 3 wherein the prodrug is present in the amount of 75 mg/mL.
5. The composition of claim 1 wherein the pH is about 8.3 to 9.
6. A method for the treatment of a convulsive state in a mammal comprising administering by subcutaneous or intramuscular administration to a mammal in need of such treatment an anti-convulsive amount of a stable, pharmaceutical composition of the prodrug 3-(hydroxymethyl)-5,5-diphenylhydantoin disodium phosphase ester, said composition comprising from about 35 to 130 mg/mL of prodrug, and from about 0.05 to 2 M of a buffer effective to maintain a pH of about 8.3 to 9.4 the prodrug degrading in aqueous solution to produce diphenylgylcinamide as the primary degradant with minimal quantities of phenytoin, the pH range of said composition acting to allow the degradiation to proceed whereby the shelf-life of the prodrug in an aqueous composition is maximized.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.