DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 4,913,906
|Title:||Novel controlled release dosage form of valproic acid|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to controlled release pharmaceutical compositions. These contain as active ingredient valproic acid, a salt of valproic acid, an ester of valproic acid, Valpromide, or any other pharmaceutically acceptable derivative of valproic acid which upon administration to humans provides a serum level of valproic acid, in combination with an additive which is selected from physiologically acceptable polymeric substances and from native proteins. The active ingredient is usually in the range of from 10 to 80 weight percent. The novel pharmaceutical compositions are prepared by applying a high pressure to a mixture of the ingredients. They result in a prolonged serum level of the active ingredient.|
|Inventor(s):||Friedman; Michael (Jerusalem, IL), Bialer; Meir (Jerusalem, IL), Rubinstein; Avraham (Jerusalem, IL), Dufrovsky; Upd (Tel-Aviv, IL)|
1. A controlled release oral dosage form comprising an essentially homogenous admixture of an active ingredient selected from the group consisting of, pharmaceutically acceptable salts
and esters of valproic acid, valpromide (VPD), and other VPA derivatives which biotransform to provide VPA in human serum, and a physiologically acceptable polymer said active ingredient comprising from about 10 to about 80 weight percent of said dosage
form in an amount effective to provide a prolonged serum level of VPA.
2. A dosage form according to claim 1 wherein the polymer is at least one member selected from the group consisting of carboxymethyl cellulose, methyl cellulose, ethylcellulose, hydroxypropyl cellulose, polyvinyl alcohol, polyethylene, polypropylene, polystyrene, polyacrylamide, ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer, polyacrylate, polyurethane, polyvinylpyrrolidone, polymethylmethacrylate, polyvinyl acetate, polyhydroxyethyl methacrylate, and waxes.
3. A dosage form according to claim 1, wherein the active ingredient is VPD and the polymer is a native protein selected from the group consisting of soy protein, collagen, gelatin, ovalbumine, milk albumin, casein and mixtures thereof.
4. A dosage form according to claim 1, wherein the tablet contains fromm 200 to 500 mg of the active ingredient.
5. A process for preparing oral dosage forms for the sustained release of valproic acid esters, salts thereof, or VPD, which comprises producing an essentially homogenous admixture of an active ingredient selected from the group consisting of valproic acid, pharmaceutically acceptable salts and esters of VPA, valpromide (VPD), and other VPA derivatives which biotransform to provide VPA in human serum, and a physiologically acceptable polymer in an amount effective to provide a prolonged serum level of VPA, and forming tablets of said admixture under high pressure.
6. A process according to claim 5, where the pressure is 1000 to 5000 kg/cm.sup.2.
7. The dosage form of claim 4, containing at least 300 mg of said polymer.
8. The process of claim 5, wherein said active ingredient is sodium valproate, and said process is performed in a dry atmosphere cabinet at less than 30% R.H.
9. The dosage form of claim 1, wherein said polymer is soy protein.
10. The dosage form of claim 9, comprising about equal weights of soy protein and valpromide.
11. The dosage form of claim 10, wherein said weight of said valpromide is about 300 mg.
12. A tablet according to claim 7.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.