Generated: May 29, 2017
|Title:||Process for the preparation of ifosfamide having improved properties|
|Abstract:||Ifosfamide having improved properties is obtained by crystallization from a solvent mixture selected from the group consisting of (a) a mixture of diethyl ether and a C.sub.1 -C.sub.3 alkanol or (b) a mixture of diisopropyl ether and a C.sub.1 -C.sub.3 alkanol under specific controlled conditions.|
|Inventor(s):||Engel; Jurgen (Alzenau, DE), Muller; Siegfried (Bad Homburg, DE), Laubner; Werner (Halle, DE)|
|Assignee:||Asta Pharma Akteingesellschaft (Frankfurt am Main, DE)|
1. Needle-shaped prismatic crystalline ifosfamide characterized by the following properties:
(a) at least 70% of the crystals have a particle size between 150-550 .mu.m, the individual crystals have a ratio of length to width of 3.5:1 to 8:1, and
(b) the crystals have a maximum average relative standard deviation or the deviation of the individual values from the desired value at filling tests between 0.90% and 2% of 1.4%.
2. A process for the preparation of ifosfamide having improved properties, which comprises the steps of:
(a) forming a solution of ifosfamide in a solvent mixture selected from the group consisting of i. a mixture of diethyl ether and a C.sub.1 -C.sub.3 alkanol and ii. a mixture of diisopropyl ether and a C.sub.1 -C.sub.3 alkanol, the volume ratio of the C.sub.1 -C.sub.3 alkanol to the ether being 1:1 to 1:200, and the proportion of solvent mixture being 100 to 2000 ml per 100 g of ifosfamide.
(b) seeding the solution with pure ifosfamide at a temperature between -20.degree. to +25.degree. C. with stirring, the stirring being continued for several hours at the seeding temperature,
(c) optionally cooling the solution in step (b) evenly by stirring over a period of 8 to 48 hours to a temperature between 0.degree. C. to -5.degree. C., provided that the temperature is above 0.degree. C. when seeding takes place, and
(d) isolating and drying the resulting crystals.
3. A process according to claim 2 wherein the solvent mixture in step (a) is a mixture of diethyl ether and methanol.
4. A process according to claim 2 or claim 3 wherein the seeding in step (c) takes place at a temperature greater than 11.degree. C.
5. A process according to claim 2 or claim 3 wherein the seeding takes place at a temperature between 14.degree. and 20.degree. C.
6. A process according to claim 2 or claim 3 wherein cooling from the seeding temperature to the filtering temperature is carried out by using a cooling bath which is in thermal contact with the solution to obtain a controlled, even, and linear temperature reduction.
7. A pharmaceutical composition comprising a pharmaceutically effective amount of ifosfamide according to claim 1 and a pharmaceutical carrier or medium.
8. An aqueous solution of ifosfamide according to claim 1 having a pH of 5.5 to 6 containing 10% by weight of the crystals which is suitable for therapeutic use as an injection solution.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.