DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 4,879,277
|Title:||Antiviral compositions and methods|
|Abstract:||Compositions containing 2',3'-dideoxycytidine and its triphosphates for use in treating retroviral infections including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) are disclosed with preferred methods of treatment which provide protection against cytophatic effects of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).|
|Inventor(s):||Mitsuya; Hiroaki (Rockville, MD), Broder; Samuel (Bethesda, MD)|
|Assignee:||The United States of America as represented by the Department of Health (Washington, DC)|
1. A method for treating a patient infected with HIV comprising administering to said patient an effective amount of a composition comprising 2',3'-dideoxycytidine, a salt, or
an ester thereof in a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the 2',3'-dideoxycytidine is in the form of the triphosphate and the carrier is suitable for intracellular administration.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein the pharmaceutically acceptable carrier is normal saline.
4. The method of claim 2 wherein the 2',3'-dideoxycytidine triphosphate is contained in a liposome.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the 2',3'-dideoxycytidine is phosphorylated and the carrier is a liposome.
6. The method of claim 5 wherein the phosphorylated 2',3'-dideoxycytidine is a triphosphate.
7. A method for alleviating the cytopathic destructive effects of a retroviral disease in a patient infected with a retrovirus comprising administering to said patient an effective amount of an antiviral composition comprising 2',3'-dideoxycytidine, a salt, or an ester thereof in a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier.
8. A method of claim 7 wherein the retrovirus is HIV.
9. A method of claim 7 wherein dosage is 0.03-0.5 mg/kg administered 4-12 times a day.
10. A method of claim 7 wherein the medication is administered orally.
11. A method of claim 7 wherein the medication is administered intravenously.
12. A method of claim 11 wherein the medication is infused continuous.
13. A method of claim 7 wherein the method of administration is selected from the group consisting of rectally, nasally, or vaginally.
14. A method of claim 7 wherein said effective amount of 2',3'-dideoxycytidine is administered in orange juice with sodium chloride.
15. A method of claim 7 wherein the composition is administered intravenously in an amount of about 0.03 to about 0.25 mg/kg body wieght.
16. A method of claim 7 wherein the composition is administered orally in an amount of 0.06 to about 0.5 mg/kg.
17. A method for alleviating the cytopathic destructive effects of a retroviral disease in a patient infected with a retrovirus comprising administering to said patient a viral suppressing effective amount of an antiviral composition comprising 2',3'-dideoxycytidine in a liposome carrier.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.