|Title:|| Gelatin coated caplets and process for making same|
|Abstract:||A novel capsule-like medicament, method for producing such medicaments and apparatus are disclosed. The method provides a procedure for coating solid cores, such as caplets, with gelatinous coatings to produce a shiny, capsule-like medicament. Such medicaments are achieved by individually dipping and drying first one end, and then the other end, of each caplet to provide a coating which is smoother and easier to swallow than an uncoated caplet. The production of these capsule-like medicaments is readily facilitated by simple and inexpensive modifications which can be made to existing empty gelatin capsule making equipment.|
|Inventor(s):|| Berta; Norbert I. (Radnor, PA) |
|Assignee:|| McNeilab, Inc. (Spring House, PA) |
1. A simulated capsule-like medicament comprising:
(a) A solid caplet having a first and a second end, said caplet comprising a generally cylindrical shape;
(b) A first gelatinous coating of a first color provided on said second end of said caplet;
(c) A second gelatinous coating, of a color different from said first color, provided on said first end of said caplet, partially overlapping said first gelatinous coating and forming a seam circumscribing said medicament at about a midway point
of a longitudinal axis of said medicament to form a simulated capsule-like medicament.
2. The medicament of claim 1 wherein said caplet ends are coated in a red and white gelatinous material.
3. The medicament of claim 1 wherein said caplet is pre-coated to reduce absorption of moisture and said gelatinous coatings by said caplet.
4. The medicament of claim 1 wherein said first and second gelatinous coatings are provided in thicknesses of about 5 to 40 mils.
5. The medicament of claim 1 wherein said caplet comprises a width and a length, wherein said length is at least 2.5 times the width.
6. The medicament of claim 1 wherein said first and second gelatinous coatings are provided in thicknesses of about 15-25 mils.
7. The medicament of claim 1 wherein said first and second gelatinous coatings comprise gelatin.