DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 4,820,524
|Title:||Gelatin coated caplets and process for making same|
|Abstract:||A novel capsule-like medicament, method for producing such medicaments and apparatus are disclosed. The method provides a procedure for coating solid cores, such as caplets, with gelatinous coatings to produce a shiny, capsule-like medicament. Such medicaments are achieved by individually dipping and drying first one end, and then the other end, of each caplet to provide a coating which is smoother and easier to swallow than an uncoated caplet. The production of these capsule-like medicaments is readily facilitated by simple and inexpensive modifications which can be made to existing empty gelatin capsule making equipment.|
|Inventor(s):||Berta; Norbert I. (Radnor, PA)|
|Assignee:||McNeilab, Inc. (Spring House, PA)|
1. A simulated capsule-like medicament comprising:
(a) A solid caplet having a first and a second end, said caplet comprising a generally cylindrical shape;
(b) A first gelatinous coating of a first color provided on said second end of said caplet;
(c) A second gelatinous coating, of a color different from said first color, provided on said first end of said caplet, partially overlapping said first gelatinous coating and forming a seam circumscribing said medicament at about a midway point of a longitudinal axis of said medicament to form a simulated capsule-like medicament.
2. The medicament of claim 1 wherein said caplet ends are coated in a red and white gelatinous material.
3. The medicament of claim 1 wherein said caplet is pre-coated to reduce absorption of moisture and said gelatinous coatings by said caplet.
4. The medicament of claim 1 wherein said first and second gelatinous coatings are provided in thicknesses of about 5 to 40 mils.
5. The medicament of claim 1 wherein said caplet comprises a width and a length, wherein said length is at least 2.5 times the width.
6. The medicament of claim 1 wherein said first and second gelatinous coatings are provided in thicknesses of about 15-25 mils.
7. The medicament of claim 1 wherein said first and second gelatinous coatings comprise gelatin.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.