DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 4,814,168
|Title:||Transdermal multipolymer drug delivery system|
|Abstract:||A dermal compositon comprising a drug, a multi-polymer of vinyl acetate, polyethylene and optionally one or more monomers, a natural or synthetic rubber and a tackifying agent. The ratio of the multipolymer to the rubber is, respectively, about 1:1 to about 10:1 and more preferably 1:1 to 5:1 and more preferably 3:1. The dermal composition can optionally contain a crosslinking agent, tackifiers, penetration enhancers and other ingredients known for use in adhesives for the transdermal delivery of drugs. The dermal compositions can be produced by a variety of methods known in the preparation of drug containing adhesive preparations including the homogenous mixing of the multi-polymer, drug and optional crosslinking agent and additional ingredients in aqueous solution followed by removal of excess water.|
|Inventor(s):||Sablotsky; Steven (Miami, FL), Questel; John M. (Cuyahoga Falls, OH), Leeson; Dorothy J. (North Canton, OH)|
|Assignee:||Noven Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Miami, FL)|
1. An adhesive dermal composition comprising a drug, a multipolymer containing vinyl acetate and ethylene monomers, a natural or synthetic rubber, and a tackifying agent, in
which the ratio by weight of the multi-polymer to rubber is about 1:1 to about 10:1.
2. The dermal composition of claim 1, in which the multi-polymer is a carboxylated vinyl acetate/ethylene terpolymer and the rubber is polyisoprene.
3. The dermal composition of claim 1 in which the drug is a solid or liquid at room temperature, is percutaneously absorbable, and is dissolved or dispersed in the composition.
4. The dermal composition of claim 3 in which the weight of the drug is about 1 to 50% by weight based on the weight of the dermal composition.
5. A dermal composition comprising a drug, a crosslinked multipolymer of carboxylated vinyl acetate/ethylene, a natural or synthetic rubber, and a tackifying agent in which the multipolymer and rubber are in a ratio, respectively, of from about 1:1 to about 10:1.
6. The dermal composition according to claim 5 in which the crosslinking agent is selected from the group of agents known for the crosslinking of free carboxyl groups of polymeric substances.
7. The dermal composition according to claim 5 in which the crosslinking agent is selected from the group consisting of melamine formaldehyde resin, urea formaldehyde resn, phenolic resins, epoxy resins, glyoxal, zinc oxide, magnesium oxide and ammonium dichromate.
8. The dermal composition according to claim 5, in which the multipolymer is a terpolymer of ethylene, vinyl acetate and acrylic acid.
9. The dermal composition according to claim 8 in which the percent by weight of ethylene, vinyl acetate and acrylic acid units in the terpolymer are, respectively, roughly 15 to 90;4 to 80 and 0 to 5.
10. The dermal composition according to claim 8 in which the amounts of ethylene, vinyl acetate and acrylic acid are respectively roughly 77%, 20% and 3%.
11. The dermal composition according to claim 5 in which the carboxylated vinyl acetate ethylene copolymer and natural rubber are in a ratio, respectively, of about 3:1.
12. The dermal composition which comprises, as percent by weight, about 20% to about 39% carboxylated vinyl acetate ethylene copolymer about 5% to about 20% natural rubber, about 10% to about 30% of a tackifying agent, about 1% to about 50% of drug, and 0% to about 2% of a crosslinking agent.
13. The composition of claim 12 which comprises about 30% carboxylated vinyl acetate ethylene copolymer, about 11% natural rubber, about 12% tackifier and 41% drug.
14. The composition according to claim 13 in which the drug is nitroglycerin or estradiol.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.